Sentry 2.0 itx build log

Case: Sentry 2.0

Psu: Corsair SF600 Platinum
It’s so quiet. The fan doesn’t even spin while gaming.

Cpu: R7 3700x
I was waiting for a price drop from the 5700x release, but that never came. :frowning:

Cooler: Noctua l9a
Noctua really knows presentation.

Ram: 32 gb gskill ripjaws

I don’t use drives all that much. I do very few reads / writes and this wd green is fine for me.

I am going to mod my l9a with a 3d printable duct-bracket

The corners aren’t round, very unprofessional.
I also cracked one fan blade of the nf-a9x14.
I super glued it and it works fine. Now it is unbalanced, but it makes only a bit more noise, and you can hardly even see it in the pic.

It actually fits!

Overpriced slim silverstone sata cables:

Gpu: 2060 super (had that from 2019)

Cable management is fine:

From some quick testing, the l9a mod yields a ~5c temperature reduction + some mhz on the core.
I am using the low noise adapter on all fans.

4 Likes

Very nice mod!
I wish you all the performances

2 Likes

Love this build. All my rigs are Mini ITX, so this speaks to me.

Especially impressed with the duct/bracket, that’s damned cool. Pun intended.

1 Like

These are the mods I tried previously:

You flip the fan and use it as an exhaust and these ducts sit in between.
They reduce turbulence and air recirculation, but they introduce more noise when the side panel is closed. :neutral_face:

They are also plastic and they sit right up against the heatsink. That is a bad idea because of heat creep. (I almost fried my new CPU because I overestimated my 3D print. - YouTube)

1 Like

Using PLA? It’s a bit of a fire risk too. I tested it, because I’m weird.

Have you tried htpla?

I know you’re not using the design anymore, but eeeehhhh

Maybe some flexible filament gasket to absorb some vibration?

PETG
Heat creep affects everything, even steel. The question is how long it takes for something to fail.
PETG has a glass transition temperature of 90 degrees and the system gets pretty toasty.

Heat treated htpla is mind blowing. I wanted to try Formfutura’s volcano pla.

The fan exhaust was right up against the side panel. That introduced some turbulance and noise.
The flexible filament gasket is a good idea, it will form a seal and reduce air recirculation.

1 Like

I was more thinking about deflection temp than glass transition, but I suppose when there is creep that can ah… creep up on you.

I’m not a big fan of petg or pla for anything except low stress enclosures or art pieces. I can just about manage ABS if the planets are correctly aligned and the 3d printing gods accept my sacrifice of cleaning filament.

I totally get your caution, especially after Stefan’s experience with nylon cf, double especially in your gorgeous low volume build.

I know, right? Witchcraft. You can do similar if you anneal but who’s got time?? Haha

Rant:

I’m not sold on fibre reinforced filaments. It’s not that they’re bad, I think they just tend to be marketed as if they work the same as your pa6 gf30 tool injections. They don’t. Great for impact resistance, warping, dimensional accuracy etc, but that’s it. The fibres are teeny.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.