Sell me on OpenSuse

By no means am I a ten year salty Linux vet, but I've used a few flavors pretty heavily over the past 3 years. The distros I use with regularity include Ubuntu, Lunbuntu, CentOS, Fedora, and Red Hat.

I'd like to hear TS members opinion on the advantages of OpenSuse compared to the distros I've used. I know I could google random bloggers opinions, but I respect the Linux users on this forum and value your opinions.

So if you have a few minutes and used OpenSuse please feel free to let me know what makes it differen, better, or where it outshines other distros. I'm not looking for a flame war or my distro is better and your's is shit. I'm genuinely interested in why OpenSuse is used by a decent number of people.

All the best.

I havent used openSUSE enough to give a properly informed post about it. @Tjj226_Angel might.

Also theres some info on this topic

1 Like

Thanks boss!

It sounds like OpenSuse offers a rolling release distro which sets it apart from Ubuntu and Fedora.

I am going to start by saying that I do not recommend opensuse leap currently.

It is pretty fucking old, and opensuse should be doing a major release in the next couple months.

So I am going to talk specifically about tumbleweed.

Yes, tumbleweed is a TESTED, well supported, and well documented rolling release. Unlike manjaro where they simply hold packages back in order to improve stability, they literally run each and every package before shipping it.

One of the major features of opensuse in general that I really like is that the main opensuse repo has a crap ton of software. I generally do not like to add extra repos to an OS I use on a daily basis, so the fact that I really only have to install the packman repo for video codecs, and the games repo for things like playonlinux really helps to prevent opensuse from turning into a frakenstein OS that breaks every time you update.

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but you do get yast. Yast is a very cool tool that lets you manage anything from disk partitions, to setting up KVM, to managing kernel settings. Its extremely powerful and will probably be your best friend.

The last two bits I want to cover are OBS and Zypper. These two topics are the defining line between opensuse and fedora.

Zypper is your friend. Zypper is your life. Zypper is your savior. Enough said.

OBS stands for Open build service. The open build service is kind of like a studio where you can try to compile software for opensuse. You can see what did not build, and get advice and physical help from the community to try and get your piece of software built for opensuse. From there they even help you package a repo, and help you maintain said repo.

So right now, elementary OS's pantheon desktop does not work on opensuse or fedora. IDK where fedora stands on the pantheon desktop. But for opensuse.......

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/X11:Pantheon

I can see where the project stands, how I can contribute, and it will even give me updates when progress has been made.

The OBS system is what has contributed to a large software base for opensuse. Its almost like a stable and well maintained version of the AUR.

So to wrap this up, you get a great distro that is more up to date than fedora, probably just as stable, you get a great package manager, great tools that fedora doesn't have, and a much bigger software library.

What is not to love exactly?

5 Likes

Got to agree with this OpenSUSE (and Fedora) have actual testing structures for packages.

need professional linux?

can't use an american company for national security reasons? Open Suse!

Its linux.

You sold on it?

No?

Literally use anything and it will be the same (after a time).

I agree to a point. But different distros offer different things, better security, better testing, better integration etc.

That's exactly what I was looking for.

OpenSuse actually sounds like a pretty cool OS - very community driven and stable. It sounds like it has a lot of "life." OBS sounds freaking awesome!

I'm not sure OpenSuse is right for me, but now I at least "know" something genuine about it besides, "its Linux.".

I'm not proud to admit this, but I'm kind of a selfish Linux user - in the sense I take a lot, but contribute nothing. Again, not proud of this, but I use Fedora simply because its super efficient. It loads fast, I can mouse into the upper left corner to get to the "start menu" - I mean, I don't even have to click the mouse.

We're all super busy, but I feel like I have a pretty busy desk - So, efficiency is paramount for me. I have a feeling that once I get into a more senior position, things will settle down some, plus I'll have the experience and knowledge to actually be a good community member and possibly that would be the time to make my next "leap" (no pun intended) in distros.

Also, we'll see how much I love Fedora once I have to upgrade to 25 here in a couple of months.

It has touchscreen, gps, leather interior, and RIMS! you sold yet?

'^_^ just wanted to add a funny to this reply'

1 Like

I don't really care what distro's anymore :P I like Arch and Slackware most, but Debian, Ubuntu, even the OCD shitpile that is fedora has its place. :P