Seeking Recommendations for Data Recovery on Samsung M2-VL22T00 SSD

Hello, everyone,

I recently encountered an issue with my Samsung M2-VL22T00 SSD. This is a somewhat unusual model. I’ve always built my own machines, but due to the more travel-oriented nature I was in, I went desktop replacement, I’m just outside of the manufacturer warranty range. (all other hardware is in great shape) The drive has been replaced by now, but the data on the old drive still holds (to me) some value.

After noticing a “bad” SMART status, I took the SSD to Micro Center for evaluation. Their suggestion was to utilize an external lab service for data recovery, which they quoted at around $2000. While I understand the complexity and value of professional data recovery, I’m exploring if there might be more economical options out there.

Here are my main queries:

1. Next Steps: Is there any preliminary action I should consider before committing to a lab service? Any software or diagnostics I might not have tried yet?
  2. I don’t necessarily have the extra hardware or tools to go much deeper, the drive is just detected as bad in Windows.
  3. I was told by the guys at MC (great team very helpful they did their best), that the data was still present, just not accessible. hints at the lab recommendation.
  4. Lab Service Recommendations : If I do go the professional route, does anyone have experiences with affordable yet reliable data recovery labs they can vouch for?
  5. There is just enough on the drive that I would not want to have to try and recover. myself.
  6. I have a Synology box, but just hadn’t had the time to get a backup in recently. Additionally, there were no indicators of deteriorating health, at least not ones that could be dismissed as an issue elsewhere.
  7. SSD Specifics: Given the unique nature of the Samsung M2-VL22T00, are there any considerations or challenges specific to this model that I should be aware of?
  8. This is quite a unique manufacturer model, haven’t seen it anywhere outside of some laptops.

Are you sure of the make and model? I tried looking for it but didn’t find any reference for that particular model number.

Anyway, assuming the drive can still be read, try Sysrescuecd. It’s essentially a Linux-based toolbox for sys-admins on a CDrom or USB stick. And it allows you to make a bit-for-bit copy of the faulty drive to another drive, which you then can investigate using the Testdisk utility to try and recover files instead of the faulty drive to preserve (or increase) your chances of data recovery.

HTH!

1 Like

Here is my LTT form post that has images.
Could find the image on the tech forms here.

I’ll look into it, thanks.

You did make an error: it’s type is mzvl22t0hblb, not m2vl22t00. Almost, but not the same :wink: (I do understand the ease of making that typo/error though)

This is a plain 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD, so you can easily replace it with a different brand and/or capacity drive if you choose so. And fairly cheaply too, a 4TB NVMe drive can be had for USD180-ish via Aliexpress. Admittedly not a gen 4 drive but a DRAM-less gen 3 model from a Chinese brand, but still 4TB.

HTH!

All the replacement and fresh installing is already done.
it’s the data on the old drive I’m trying to recover.
Thanks.

1 Like