Seeking Help to build a New Server - Budget 6000 CHF

Hello dear community,

I’m facing the challenge of buying a new server and I hope for your support and expertise. My budget is 6000 CHF and I want to use the server for different purposes.

Uses:

1. Media files: I plan to store my extensive media collection on the server, including videos, music and other multimedia files.

2. Photo collection: I would also like to keep my large photo collection safe on the server.

3. Docker containers for gaming servers: I want to run various docker containers, especially gaming servers, to play with friends online.

4. Nextcloud: Setting up a Nextcloud instance is another goal to securely sync and share my data.

5. Virtual Gaming/ Editing Machines: I would also like to run at least two virtual machines on the server to isolate different applications and services.
    The focus here is on high performance.

Storage Requirements:

I need at least 24TB total storage space. I prefer using NVMe SSDs to operate in a RAID-Z configuration for increased performance and data integrity.

Now I’m faced with the challenge of finding the best hardware configuration that meets my needs while staying within budget. I’m aware that server hardware can often be more expensive, so I’m hoping you can use your expertise to help me choose.

Imaginations:

In the past few years I have already gained experience with various OS, software and hardware and I value the possibility of expanding the system.

From an OS point of view, I would like to use UnRaid because I have had the best experiences with it so far.
I present a ZFS raid with 8x4TB NVME’s.

Here I have put together a rough setup as I imagine it:

1x AMD Ryzen Threadripper 5965WX
1x ASUS PRO WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI
8x Crucial P3 4TB
1x ASUS TUF-RTX4090-O24G-OG-GAMING
8x Crucial Desktop Memory, 2 x 32GB, 4800 MHz, DDR5 RAM
1x ASUS Hyper M.2 X16 Card
1x Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

However, I am open to any suggestions regarding OS, hardware and software.

The following questions concern me:

1. What specific hardware can you recommend for my requirements?
  2. Which NVMe SSDs are best in a RAID-Z configuration?
  3. Are there proven server brands or providers that offer good value for money?
  4. Are used servers a sensible option to save costs?

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions. Your help will help me enormously in making the right decision and in configuring my new server optimally for my requirements.

Thanks very much!

p3 drives are qlc with no dram, pretty shit imo

Do you got a good alternativ?

WD Black SN850X maybe?

i bought one it looks good on paper. here is this im not sure if its 100% accurate (companies like to downgrade after reviews) but its a good resource

Ok, so ~6 000 EUR. I’ll use German PCPP for build details later.

1, 2 and 4 can be done in a performant way by a Core i3 13100, 3 and 5 require something stronger, but possibly not that much stronger. Virtual production workstation machines sounds nice but have some inherent flaws. If you want to do the testing yourself, feel free, but here’s the basic rundown why you do not want to use virtual desktops in 2023:

I recommend you run your VMs off a local workstation if you really want to go down that route. So, with this in mind, you need two things, a high performant NAS and a gaming server.

First one is easy, an Asustor Flashtor 12 Pro with a bunch of SSD drives:

Combine with some 4TB disks for now. If you want really fast HDDs, go with Western Digital SN850X 4TB for €299, else go with something like the Crucial P3 4TB for €189. Exactly how many depends on the budget.

As for the other server, this kit should serve you really well as a server and fits in pretty much any 2U system box. If you don’t know what to put such a small thing in, why not a J-Hack Pure XL or a SFFTime P-ATX case?

Home game server core

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 7900 €426.99
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12S €69.90
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WIFI €311.89
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws S5 2x32 GB DDR5-6000 CL32 €225.89
Storage Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 €299.00
Power Supply SeaSonic FOCUS SGX 500W €115.91
Total €1449.58

With the Flashtor at €928, that leaves roughly €620 for a case + other spare parts and another €3000 on your budget for drives. Now, twelve P3s will cost you €2268 which means you might save around €1000 total on the deal, while twelve 850X will cost you €3588 leaving a measly €50 on the table for a good server case. 10 SN850X might work for this case though.

My 2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.