Seeking advice from the gurus for network setup

Hey guys,
So my internet failed. Yes, I have tried turning it off and on again.

This link shows my current network setup for my home work office thats has been working for over 2 years.

The internet has failed on me recently. I have isolated that the problem is the switch. Once te switch is connected, together with the devices, the whole network’s internet fails. Once the switch is removed, LAN network and wifi works. I have replaced the switch once already, but the problem ensues.

The simple solution is to connect the devices directly to the router, but the router doesn’t have enough ports to support the devices.

Thnak you in advance for helping me on this.

Please post make/model of the router and switch.

Can you be more specific about what is connected to the switch and how it’s connected? If your network is crashing then it could be a broadcast storm cause by the switch being connected to itself somehow.

An example of what could cause this is if you have two cables connecting the switch to the router instead of just one.

2 Likes

The switch is a netgear 8 port switch:
https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/GS108.aspx#tab-techspecs

Router is the Asus RTAC68U

So the Asus router has 1 CAT 5 LAN cable connected to port 1 of the switch.
Ports 2 -7 are 5 computers (3 desktops, 2 laptops, 1 printer)

Does it happen with just the switch connected to the router and nothing else?

I see it’s a managed switch, what features do you have enabled? If you restore the default configuration do you still have problems?

Ah correction.
its an unmanaged switch:
https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/GS108.aspx#tab-techspecs

yes, it is indeed the case. only when the switch, but tgt with the devices, is connected

I once had similar issues with some too cheap switches I acquired. I had to disable auto negotiation of link speed, in your case, it should be in the router.

Come again?

I had two switches that didn’t want to work. Whenever I connected them, my LAN crashed. Switches worked fine alone, router worked fine alone, together it all went tits up. After sifting through logs, I found out that for some reason, the router kept changing link speed from 100Mbit to 1000Mbit, back and forth. Until all networking, after a short while, stopped working. I fixed this, by forcing link speed on router to 1000Mbit.

On a side note, also had this happen once with a usb > Lan dongle. Same fix as above.

1 Like

Have you swapped out any cables?

Ah…thanks for the help guys…so i have further isolated that it isnt the switch…
so one of the desktops, a ASRock deskmini installed with ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

I previously had Pop installed on it, and there was no problem then (yet). I installed ubuntu 18.04 last week, the problem surfaced. I can kinda confirm this because the system log file from the router showed that the firewall was triggered, and that when the ubuntu pc LAN was connected, the LAN system fails.

Am i being attacked?

a little help please

I would say it is more likely an error/bug in some configuration or hardware rather than a attack, in general, if it is affecting just the one pc.

Did you say the network is fine with all other devices connected except the Ubuntu pc?

In which case, Keeping that separate for some trouble shooting sounds like a plan…

Yes
the network is working flawless for the past 36 hrs once the ubuntu computer (my linux challenge) has been unplugged.

1 Like

@jonnyyyl11 did you ever fix your network issue.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.