Security+ Tips

Hi All, this is my first post here I think. I am looking for any tips or insights on security+ certification. I have been a long time hobbyist and self taught on a lot of fundamentals in programming and hardware with some smaller projects in production at work.

I am currently a US federal employee in logistics, looking to make a move to federal IT. Security+ is required for most if not all IT jobs in the federal domain as I understand it.

I will say I think my weakest area is networking. I have the basics down, but I wouldnt feel comfortable if there were non superficial issues to troubleshoot.

Thank you for advice you can provide. Hope this is the right category and not a duplicate post. I did try to search.

Honestly just buy the Professor Messer study guides.

2 Likes

iv’e been doing the same over the last year and a bit.
and to be blunt the amount of money some of them ask borders on silly.
CompTIA isn’t too expensive but its also not cheap if your stomping the cash up yourself.
but as ucav117 points out, the courses are often online for free, well presented and cover the entire curriculum.
so you really only have to stomp up the cash for the exam.

as you already work for government, is there a path to the job you want from the job you have?.
if so, approach your boss and see if there’s a way to get your current employer to pay for the courses you want to take, that will get you to where you want to be.

that being said… if your in an IT department already, it should be an easy ask.
if your manual labour… your pretty much gonna have to fight for help.

2 Likes

I have my Sec+ for my IAT II.
Best advice is:
1: KNOW YOUR PORTS AND PROTOCOLS.
2: KNOW YOUR PORTS AND PROTOCOLS.
3: During the test, I’ve come across questions that will literally give you the answer to a different question. So always remember to flag and go back to a question if you’re not sure. You might come across the answer later.

3 Likes

Thank you, sounds like I need to go ahead and deep dive networking and get really comfortable with it.

I will start with Professor Messor and see where I am in a month.

I appreciate yall taking the time to give advice. Happy New Year!

1 Like

i know this comes off as a little self help. but its just the intro. he has some solid takes.
also sub to his channel. he’s one of the better explainers for cyber.

3 Likes

I can also help if you have specific questions. I have IAT-III and IAM-III level certs.

2 Likes

I just might take you up on that. I really appreciate you offering. Targeting 3rd week of February to test, already started studying.

1 Like

I am sure that you will do well. The material is not hard, it is the test to see if you are good at taking tests which is the hardest part of this and other CompTIA tests.

1 Like

again more tips for the job hunter.

1 Like

Hey all that chimed in here, just tested today after finally taking a week off and seriously studying around 8 hours a day. I passed the exam first try today and am now certified. I used the Professor Messer videos and practice tests to do all of my study. Of course the last few years of watching L1 gave me substantial fundamental knowledge as well.

Thank you for your recommendations, and HEXiT, thanks for the video share!

7 Likes

Well Earned!.

3 Likes

Congratulations. Now would be the time to make sure and ask what other certifications your future employer will require you to have, especially if you are going to work on DoD contracts. The 8570.01M has finally been superseded by the 8140.01. i would get familiar with that document as it is a radical departure from the 8570.

1 Like

Appreciate the guidance, I am already federal, and plan to stay federal, but either way, this is great info. I will deep dive on this.

Thank you!

1 Like

if your security aware, you might know this guy.
if you dont, look him up.

2 Likes