SECURITY/CVE PSA - ASUS Router Vulnerabilities

Hey folks

PSA.

Lots of ASUS router critically vulnerable will need to replaced as a lot of models will not receive patches

Here is this article for more details

Feel free to discuss this below or similar vulnerabilities in ASUS routers.

Please also feel free to discuss potential oe your own solutions

Shameless Plug… Ever more reason to run your own pfsense :wink: we got guides on that

8 Likes

A number of these are likely compatible with open-wrt or dd-wrt, which is a good alternative to buying new hardware.

Pinning this for visibility.

9 Likes

If they can muster Merlins firmware or OpenWRT that would be the way to go

Dd-wrt has a lot of Vulnerabilities due to the sheer amount of packages that come with it

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/

6 Likes

Damn, really? :confused:

Sadge

2 Likes

Yeah but its also not marketed in a way that would suggest they are secure

Plus openwrt is configurable through lua

And merlin through bash

2 Likes

@SgtAwesomesauce Can this get merged? It’s a much more detailed post.

3 Likes

Ohhh, that’s a much more detailed post.

I’ll merge them tonight when I get home.

3 Likes

:joy: glad multiple people were on it

It got buried and the forum did not even tell me his post existed. Isnt it supposed to do that?

1 Like

I’m not seeing my RT-AC 5300 on there, but wouldn’t be surprised if it is a part of this due to it being older. It’s currently running Merlin.

Gonna have to keep an eye on this. I remember a few a years back a list being updated over a few weeks when one of the Russian botnets that was taking over routers.

1 Like

:person_shrugging: It happens

3 Likes

Rip yeah it does

Especially after the forum update. Nothing seems to be working right on mobile haha

2 Likes

Could you do me a favor and make a thread outlining your issues on mobile? I’d love to actually get to the bottom of this.

2 Likes

Yeah I can

1 Like

Recent high severity flaw on asus routers which has severity rating of 9.8 out of 10. I’d update ASAP if you haven’t already.

Effects these below models(Per ArsTechnica):

There is another CVE within the article as well. These appear to be mostly older models. See below:

With these models having received updates(the others appear to be EOL and need to be replaced yesterday lol):

DSL-N10_C1
DSL-N10_D1
DSL-N10P_C1
DSL-N12E_C1
DSL-N16P
DSL-N16U
DSL-AC52
DSL-AC55

Source:

Edit: Added second CVE from the article.

7 Likes

Flash OpenWRT on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up, I have this model ASUS router:

GT-AX11000 Pro

I’m still going to confirm it has the latest firmware installed.

1 Like

It’s np man. I actually have the RT-AX58U and thankfully stay on top of CVE’s due to my work.

2 Likes

Interesting how the RT-AX86U isn’t affected. :thinking:

I think they have different CPU’s, but when I look at the ASUS specs they both appear to be pretty much the same on paper(exact CPU model is not shown just cores/freq)… Makes me wonder if the flaw is related to authentication and maybe a firmware level bug? I checked the below NIST and TWERT/CC sites for more details and it’s pretty barren on exact details. Honestly wouldn’t be shocked if more ASUS routers are susceptible to whatever the attack vector is or some flavor of it.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2024-3080S
https://www.twcert.org.tw/en/cp-139-7860-760b1-2.html

3 Likes