Searching for the lowest latency m.2 storage for a laptop

Background

Would be nice to have a truly fast laptop and it seems that the most common bottle neck is the storage and specifically the storage latency and random access speed.

Common SSD benckmarks give sequential speeds and are not really a reliable indicator of actual performance in a mixed workload

If I had a desktop, I would buy an enterprise u.3 drive with good random io speeds like the Solidigm D7-P5810 Wendel reviewed a while back.

The hardware

Asus ROG Zephyrus M16 (2022)
12th Gen IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i9-12900H
48GB RAM
4TB Kingston Fury m.2 Gen4 SSD - Should be fast, was dissapointed

Internals

It is possible to fit two m.2 drives in the machine with one running at PCIe 4.0 and one 3.0

Running Windows 11 with Bitlocker enabled

Ideas

Is there a way to make use of Optane in such a system? The 380GB m.2 optane is sadly 11cm long so it wont fit in the primary ssd slot but could maybe be made to fit if one would gently drill out the mounting screw for the secondary slot.

Do SSD Latency benchmarks exist? Are there enterprise drives one could use in a laptop?

There was some talk of a storage tiering software that could possibly make use of a smaller Optane module that would fit in the system and speed things up.

Are there any modern m.2 ssd drives that are actually fast with random i/o?

Any ideas on making this laptop go BRRrrrr?

CrystalDiskMark in its settings has a ā€˜NVMe modeā€™ that will measure RND4K latency in microseconds. Ditto for KDiskMark on linux. What results do you get from the ā€˜Real World Performance +Mixā€™ profile in these?

1 Like

There are no Gen4 m.2 Optane drives, so donā€™t worry about the primary slot if thatā€™s your goal.

If it were me, I would use the P1600X (118GB) 2280 as a lean boot drive and then stick any cheap 1-2TB Gen4 m.2 into the primary slot (doesnā€™t even need DRAM) for bulk storage.

This would probably lead to the best latency on an older 6-10th gen system, but Iā€™m not sure how much it will help on the current architecture. Maxing memory bandwidth/speed might yield better results.

1 Like

Beware the unintended consequences! Youā€™re probably not really thinking about it now, but performance has a direct correlation to power consumption - at least in regards to storage.

Check out the power consumption of the fastest nvme drives (by IOPs, or seq bandwidth). Youā€™ll find that these are higher than likely the drive you have in your laptop.

Getting the fastest storage for a desktop system that is permanently tied to the power grid is a reasonable proposal.
In a laptop this will lead directly to shortened battery life. Is this really what you want?

3 Likes

The P1600X was my first thought as well until I saw the power consumption. I found an 800p on eBay instead. The capacity is the same. The performance is worse, but the latency and redundancy is still better than NAND. And itā€™s power consumption characteristics are suitable for mobile computing.

I feel like people are so out of touch about how fast a storage device should be, so many things can effect how well it works. if your using winbows and have a million things loaded into memory (application in the taskbar/background) no NVME/SSDā€™s are going to preform ā€œultra fastā€ as there available bandwidth is already being utilized by other things. go and get a laptop from 2012-2017 with a HDD (spinning rust) and then you can feel the difference with how ā€œslowā€ your current performance solid state device isā€¦ just my thoughts

But that is exactly the type of workload where Optane is beneficial.

Since the laptop I daily drive happens to be a gaming laptop battery life or lack there of is a trade off I am willing to live with.

The issue is that modern consumer drives offer excellent sequential performance but are not great with random workloads.

The smaller optane drives are an ok alternative, but the small space is not something I am able to live with even for a boot drive. Managing the space and hardlinking system folders to another drive is such a hasstle that it would probably be too much.

Maybe a solution like a secondary optane drive of 118GB and software like primo cache could be a good fit?

My quick 2 cents on Primocacheā€¦ Primocache will limit your IOPS to substantially less than a raw NVME SSD can achieve. But, for general large file access and traversal in database work Primocache can speed things up (my setup uses 256GB of RAM). Horses for coursesā€¦ My fastest NVME SSD ā€œvolumeā€ for IOPS and low latency is a striped pair of fast 2TB sticks.

bitlocker?
If you donā€™t encrypt (and decrypt) the files as you write/read them, maybe you would get better results.

Optane is technically the lowest latency m.2. Even a first-batch 32GB will eat a SSD up for breakfast, especially low4k. Though their density is incredibly low.

And the reason they canā€™t push low4k random speeds is precisely that ā€“ capacity. Dense NAND and low latency donā€™t mix.

Kind of like how high capacity RAM usually lowers maximum clock (as do buffering/registering them).

It is true that I lose performance with bitlocker. It is how ever a reasonable trade off for information security on a laptop with information stored on it that is worth protecting.

Consider using OPAL (hardware encryption of the drive). Most high end drives support it.

Apparently it can even be used with bitlocker:

StorageReview SSD reviews will give you an idea of the latency on random R/W instead of just the IOPs:

For example, see: Solidigm P5810 Review and Samsung 990 Pro 4TB Review

The majority of consumer Optanesā€”unfortunatelyā€”do not support OPAL. The P4800X and P4801X series are the only ones which Intel claims to do so. (I own SSDs from that series and I can confirm.) Now I said ā€œmajorityā€ which means there might be one consumer Optane series which supports OPAL: the H20. The drives have a PSID on the sticker, which would only be present if some OPAL-like interface were exposed.

Why have I not confirmed it yet? Wellā€¦ H10s and H20s present their own host of problems. :wink:

To add to the discussion:

As usual, youā€™d have to test on your own hardware under your usage scenarios to get the most accurate data.

@mtchetch, youā€™re either going to have to find your compromise point between Bitlocker tanking performance and NAND having five to ten times higher latency, or self-experiment with H20. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I have looked into hardware encryption using OPAL. The Kingston drive I have does not support it so I have a Samsung 990 pro on the way with support for HW encryption. I will see what happens with a 118GB Optane and primocache if it makes any positive difference or not. Based on the comments I am not expecting much and have other uses for the optane if it does not perform.

We shall seeā€¦

A quick fallowup on this.

The main cause for going down this particular rabbit hole was finally diagnozed and solved. Everything felt slow because of a ā€œfeatureā€ of the Kingston Fury NVMe drive series. Stale data became extremely slow to read. When reading old data it caused drive latency to go to 200ms+ and read speeds were at around 12-19MB/s.

When running benchmarks I found that they wrote new data that performed at the expected level. This made me believe that the drive is fine and since the change was gradual it was not noticed and was only sanity checked with the occasional crystal disk mark run.

Decrypting the drive (un-bitlockering) took 26 hours to complete.

Having re-wrote all the data on the drive the performance returned to a somewhat normal level. I got the Samsung 990 Pro drive and that performed even better, so that issue got solved. Also spent some quality time with Kingston support engineers and was promised a firmware fix for the performance regression on stale data.

On a side note optane + primo cache does not do anything usefull with modern NVMe drives so that was not adopted into service.

Lessons learned:

• Consumer SSD drives are bad, mkay
  • There is such a thing as stale data on SSD-drives and that can perform extremely poorly
  • Stale data performance can be diagnosed using the ancient hdtune utility that reads existing data from different parts of the drive as well as ssd read speed tester https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6712-ssd-read-speed-tester.html
4 Likes

if you feel like going off the deep end on the stale data issue:

It still surprises me how little this issue comes up in reviews and general conversation considering seemingly all consumer SSDs suffer from it (with a few exceptions).

Also Iā€™m skeptical Kingston will be able to develop a firmware update that will fix the charge decay on the SSD, doing so would burn P/E cycles at an accelerated rate which I assume is part of the reason it wasnā€™t implemented to begin with.

2 Likes

I agree with you. It is unlikely that the manufacturers will fix the issue for the reasons you outlined. They had to say something to get me to not rma the drive back to them and so here we areā€¦

The tools for rewriting data to prevent the issue should be talked about and be easily findable. I had to spend some time on the issue to actually find out what is going on and find a fix.

In my case most of the problematic data was 1-2 years old so doing a full drive refresh every year would not really cause premature wear on the device in a meaningfull way.