Seagate external harddrive data access issue - "requires format"

Hi guys,

I have an old Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 4TB PN: 9ZQAD5-500 drive that i am attempting to transfer the data off of to another drive.

It would not power on with the AC adapter, so i tried another AC adapter and no luck. I then shucked it to directly connect it to a PC. It powered on, but shows up in Win 10 as unspecfied and says i need to format the disk before i can use it. I installed the Seagate Paragon Driver and the situation persists.

Added detail: I originally loaded the files onto this drive a few years ago when i was running Windows 7. I am now running Window 10. It has been sitting unused for several years.

I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

Thank you for any insight.

@Tok36 The files you saved on the drive may be corrupted or gone. To ensure files’ integrity, you should use every month to power up your external drives every. Now my advice for your current problem. First, I would create a Linux bootable USB to see if you can still recover some files. Don’t install Linux; you want to get into a Linux operating system. If the files are recoverable, I will spend the time trying and getting Windows 10 set up to read the drive. I don’t know how to set up Windows 10 to read the drive; I am most familiar with Linux. The Linux distribution I would use would either be Ubuntu or Debian.

1 Like

I will look into creating a Linux bootable USB. Thank you for the advice Shadowbane.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.