SeaGate Backup Disaster

Hello Level1,

Yesterday I had a lot going on. I was moving everything over from my pc to my SeaGate Backup Plus Slim external HardDrive. I am not sure what happened I think maybe I powered down while I was Cut and Pasting some important folders over. Not 100% sure that this actually happened though.

I have lost some very important text files and who knows what else. I am using Solus 4.1. Initially when I plugged my drive in I had an error and I couldn’t get access to anything on the drive. It said no d-bus interface or something to that effect. So I borrowed my friends windows PC and managed to get into the hard drive. I saw that many of the files were missing.

I am now able to view the drive in Linux. I have looked through the trash in my PC and the trash in the hard drive. I don’t see the missing files. Can something help me out please?

Try spinrite
Not 100% sure if it will help, send them an email first

Thanks for the reply I have have e-mailed them.

Edit: They replied back. SpinRite cannot recover files deleted during a cut ans paste D:. They have mentioned other software or a hard drive recovery service.

Recuva Pro or maybe… :confused:

Thanks for the reply. No Linux version i guess D:

If you have to do it under linux:
Ddrescue
TestDisk
PhotoRec
Scalpel

Thanks I’m running TestDisk Scan on the external drive. I’m sure that I saw files copied over to the drive before it stopped mounting. There was no scan option for my nvme PC drive. Let’s see what the scan turns up. It’ll take a while.

If the file was written on the hard drive at all, photorec can recover it (assuming no writes happened between recovery and deletion).

If the file was at the hard drive cache before the actual write, you cannot recover it anymore.

Also: please dont run windows recovery tools over on a linux file system. You may do more harm than good unless you really know what you are doing

Thanks for replying. I have heard that PhotoRec is included in TestDisk . Which is what I am running on my external drive atm.

I am near sure that I saw the files on the external drive before it stopped mounting. When I tried to mount it, it kept giving a “no d-bus interface” error.

Thanks for the concern. I only used a Windows PC to look at the files in the drive.

Thanks everyone. Data recovery was not completely successful but nothing to worry about.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Um, @system why would you re-open this? Bad Bot

2 Likes