SD Card Not Cooperating, Need Help Nuking it

My SD card is being a pain, I suspect it is corrupted but maybe you fine people can help me save it.

Symptoms:

I can put things on it while it is the phone, and access those newly added files and use them, but once I reboot they disappear and it goes back to the same files it had before I started.

I can add files to it in recovery and again access them and use them while there, like to reinstall a ROM, but again once I reboot the files go back to what they were before I started.

I can delete files on my phone, or on windows but again once I reboot they all reappear.

/symptoms

History:
I bought it for my Note 2 when it was new, worked great, then I broke the phone. So the card went to the replacement S3mini, it was not happy initially needed a reformat so it got it. Again worked great there for a long time. The S3 was a POS, so I was very graciously gifted a HTC One M7, which does not have an SD card slot, so the SD card stayed in the S3 which ran out of battery in its own time. The phone was left dead for several months. I recently got the Note 2 fixed as it solidly kicks ass still. But lo… the card was not working correctly.

I have tried formatting it in the Note 2, the S3mini, an SD card adapter in a laptop, in recovery on both phones, rm -fr, changing the file system through all sorts. Nothing. still has the same files on it. I can still put things on it and use it and take them off it but any reboot will return it back to its state it is in now with about 33 out of the 64 GB used.

EDIT: It is a SanDisk CL10 UHS1 64GB card.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Nothing is detecting any problems with it but it is definitely not right.

You might try using diskpart in command line. It seems to me that the card is somehow stuck in read only and the formats aren’t doing anything. If it was getting zero filled during a format there is no way that it could possibly have old data on it.

1 Like

Is there a physical lock switch on it? Unlikely, but worth asking.

Get a new card and try with that. I’ve had a number of SD cards crap out. They do that.

1 Like

No lock on the micro SD cards, there is a lock on the adapter all right. But no indication on it which way HP it is, but windows has not warned, not sure it is a smart thing. It may end up in a new card, which is fine but may as well try it before adding to the tech garbage.

@ZenAnarchist diskpart is Linux right? Or do they have windows support. Either way I can make that happen so I will give it a go thanks.

Maybe give this tool a go and give it a good format, it is designed for SD cards.
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

1 Like

I don’t want to be too pessimistic but I had a 64GB SanDisk Ultra Micro SD and after a while it would basically show up with the same symptoms you listed.
Unfortunately I never was able to get it to write data and keep it when I removed it.
Tried dozens of formatting tools as well as diskpart.
Even when the tools said that it was successfully formated I would eject it and it would be in the same state as before with the data still present.
I hope it worked out for you.

1 Like

Will do, thank you.

@Theonewhoisdrunk sounds the same all right.