Script I Just Wrote Up for a YT Video: When Video Games Are Your Only Friends

Tell me what to fix

When Video Games are your Only Friends

Jakey, dammit, you’re making me wanna get nakey with you, do some dick flips, and write video scripts again.

Hopefully this is an actual video soon.

Back in school, what did you have? Elementary school comes to mind as my worse time in my life. I didn’t have a social sphere, and being trapped in special ed didn’t help with that either. I wasn’t allowed to really sit with anyone except the special kids at lunch or this one kid that liked having me around because he thought I was funny, and the cool people that I was sorta friends with in second grade had either died in a car crash or moved.

Yeah, dark shit for a 8 year old.

So, I had a CD player, a gameboy Color, maybe an advance?, and a PS2 at home that played Spyro 2 and 3, and gra turismo 3 till I killed it because my parents didn’t get me a save cart.

During this time, I didn’t have anyone to really chat with except this one chick who turned out to be as much of a gay fag as I am. Ironic really, because at that time we were watching all the kids around us try to “date” and not actually learn about each other normally. Kids were bullied, kids hung out, but I was just the quiet one on the playground that walked around with my CD player playing now thats what I call a merry little shitmas part 47, robosanta’s revenge, and I just wanted to be at home with my PS2 and gameboy.

Back in this time I remember a lot of time playing pokemon gold and hiding in the family room so no one could find me. I didn’t want to be around people, still don’t really, and I think the only way I would have broken and gotten worse socially is if that one dickbag teacher Mrs. Bean had taken my gameboy like she always threatened to.

Many a day spent running around in Johto and Kanto while I watched the crappy Kanto TV show on the weekends and occasionally went to a friends house to play Smackdown VS Raw and be bored for 6 hours while my mom went to work. It was around this time my cousin would give me Counter Strike and Quake to play with, and I’d gain more interest in PC games slowly, but I was still just trying to hide and find what I liked about myself before I tried to find what I liked in other people.

At one point I remember looking up from some shitty Dukes of Hazard game, Racing home?, and seeing chess club. And while I didn’t know that I’d be in there in middle school and meet my best friend in the world, short time crush, and now sort of mentor, I got more of an interest in games versus other people.

Eventually I met this kid named Jordan. He was quiet like me, and what brought us together at the end of 5th grade was that we both liked bikes, clouds, and video games. We never really had anything else in common than that. He played sports, I played french horn, but we both dicked around in Modern Warfare 2 in Terminal trying to see who could kill the other faster after we spawned.

This friendship only lasted till first year of High School, but those 3 or 4 years were some of the most memorable for me.

Slowly, as I became more socially connected to people BECAUSE of video games, I learned how to leverage myself on my gameboy and PS2, later DS, to try and connect with people. Suddenly I’m in Theatre class in middle school playing Metroid Prime Hunters under the table with 16 other people and top scoring because its just Quake 3 on a foldable device and I know how to quake jump. Though when the teacher found out she was really mad and… Well it was really funny either way.

Later in high school I became more secluded again. I was really depressed after figuring out I was gay in 8th grade. I didn’t have anyone to talk to, I was terrified to ask my parents what to do about it or who to ask for guidance, and when I finally decided to bring it up with my parents I wrote a note, placed it on their bed, hid in my room, and when my dad found the note and brought it downstairs to my mom I was scared he was coming in my room to yell at me. They didn’t bring it up with me for a week, probably because they saw how skiddish I was, but I was scared they were going to throw me out. So not only did I hide in video games again, I was discovering the internet.

Finally my town had been blessed with Broadband and my Neighbors left their wifi open. I found out about linux, IRC, played TF2 and counterstrike online for the first time and got wrecked, and the panic became a muted scream in the back of my head. Though it hasn’t really gone away since, its because of music and video games that I got through any of that cravy first year of high school.

I got obsessed with drawing. It was all I did for 3 months and I even failed classes because I was doing my best to just keep it together and not break down and cry in class. When I got home I’d hide in my room for as long as possible and play an illegal copy of audiosurf and watch torrented movies till I had to do chores or have dinner. Then I’d go to bed, wake up, and endure all this fear that, looking back now, has been, and was, really irrational. Eventually Chess Club was a big part of my life, having won some medals from competitions, I tried to play with people again but had gotten so rusty that I just gave up. Though me and Phil were still best buds, still are.

When I was graduated from high school I got something like 400 bucks to buy college books as my mom had decided that it was better to rush her nervous wreck of a son off to college rather than let him process what the hell was even going on in his mind. Instead of buy books I blew that 400 bucks on video games. I hid in my room playing .Hack Infection and Sly Cooper on a refurbished PS2 I got for my birthday till it was time to go to a shitty catholic school that only scared me more because of the meme of christians are anti-gay. And then I made friends by accident at lunch one day after hiding in my dorm for 2 months blasting club music and drum and bass trying to learn how to use DJ software and playing Battlefield 3 on the PS3 I got that XMas.

Eventually I dropped out, still a nervous wreck and even thought of jumping off the academic building, planned it out and everything, and a post on facebook killed that plan almost immediately and I was quarantined to my dorm room for 2 days. No out or in only to classes with a campus security officer at my tail. When they decided I was ok, they left and it was just me again. I’d had a big fight with my friends, my boyfriend at the time had broken up with me, and it was just me in this empty room with a PS3 and a gamecube.

And just like those 3 months in Freshman year of high school, 7th grade of middle school, or basically all of elementary school, I ditched class to play video games by myself and hide from the world. I wanted to die, but I also wanted to see Solid Snake kick Sniper Wolf’s ass.

Now I’m here with a shitty laptop from 2004 writing a script. Dropped out of college, still depressed, playing video games till I have to go to bed for work at 4AM. I hate my job and hope that either something will come up that I can just do and enjoy, whether its music, art, computer work, anything but this hole I’ve dug myself into over the last few years.

But at least I still have video games.

1 Like

Didn’t know u had a yt, link?

I have no idea what you’re talking about here, but maybe I’m not your target audience.

Some markdown formatting, ## heading and --- (horizontal rule) could make the top of your post more understandable.

I’m really not a fan of this type of intro personally, but if you really want to do this sort of question-based lead-in, you need to make it flow better. I’d say scrap the question entirely, since it doesn’t make sense to suggest the viewer/reader to compare their elementary childhood to yours, when at the end you admit there were some extreme circumstances, since you’re saying all of your friends died or moved away.

However, it’s really weird/impractical to try and write a good intro for you as a random person on the internet; maybe a few sentences about why you feel like making this? Or something else to really setup this premise of games as a surrogate for friendship when you were without, and later as something that helped you build friendships?

Also, it might be more readable to more discretely/precisely separate the highschool and elementary time periods you are talking about; but it could just be that lead-in, which makes it initially sound like the entirety of what your talking about is elementary school.

Maybe I’m just talking in circles, so here’s a first-pass proofread of what stands out to me, hope it can be helpful. Notes in italics:

When Video Games are Your Only Friends

//TODO intro

Elementary school in particular comes to mind as the worst time in my life. I didn’t have a social sphere, // needs more here

Being trapped in special ed didn’t help with that either; I wasn’t allowed to really sit with anyone except the special kids at lunch, or this one kid that liked having me around because he thought I was funny. // “wasn’t allowed” by whom? circumstance, elementary school social strata, actual rules of institution
By this point, the cool people that I was sort-of friends with in second grade had either moved or died in a car crash.
Yeah, dark shit for a 8 year old.

So, I had a CD player; a Gameboy Color (or maybe an Advance?); and a PS2 that played Spyro 2 and 3, and Gran Turismo 3, till I killed it because I didn’t have a save cartridge. // “at home” really makes this list in a list more confusing to my ear
// to the reader, blaming your parents seems weird, and just reflects poorly on you if you don’t give explanation

// “During this time” makes no sense here, since the previous paragraph doesn’t really talk about a specific time, except “till I killed it”
During this time (In elementary school? in a particular grade?), I didn’t have anyone to really chat with except this one chick who turned out to be as much of a gay fag as I am.
This bit about it being ironic that you talked to someone you have a commonality with doesn’t make sense. it’s not ironic, it’s exactly what one would expect
Ironic really, because at that time we were watching all the kids around us trying to “date” rather than actually learn about each other normally. Kids were bullied, kids hung out, but I was just the quiet one on the playground that walked around with my CD player playing, “now thats what I call a merry little shitmas part 47, robosanta’s revenge”, and just wanted to be at home his PS2 and gameboy.

Back in this time I remember a lot of time playing Pokemon Gold and hiding in the family room so no one could find me. I didn’t want to be around people (I still don’t really), and I think the only way I would have broken and gotten worse socially is if that one dickbag teacher Mrs. Bean had taken my Gameboy like she always threatened to.

Many a day was spent running around in Johto and Kanto while I watched the crappy Kanto TV show on the weekends and occasionally went to a friends house to play Smackdown VS Raw and be bored for 6 hours while my mom went to work. It was around this time (what time are we talking about here?) my cousin gave me Counter Strike and Quake to play with, and I gained more interest in PC games slowly, but I was still just trying to hide and find what I liked about myself before I tried to find what I liked in other people.

At one point I remember looking up from some shitty Dukes of Hazard game, Racing home?, and seeing chess club. And while I didn’t know that I’d be in there in middle school and meet my best friend in the world, short time crush, and now sort of mentor, I got more of an interest in games versus other people.

Eventually I met this kid named Jordan. He was quiet like me, and what brought us together at the end of 5th grade was that we both liked bikes, clouds, and video games. We never really had anything else in common than that. He played sports, I played french horn, but we both dicked around in Modern Warfare 2 in Terminal trying to see who could kill the other faster after we spawned.

This friendship only lasted till first year of High School, but those 3 or 4 years were some of the most memorable for me. // Only now do you establish that some number of the previous paragraphs were limited to the last 3 or 4 years of elementary school

// the following suggests games cultivated more lasting friendships, which is odd, since the previous sentence just said a friendship based around games was temporary, what changed later on to make these friendships different?
Slowly, as I became more socially connected to people BECAUSE of video games, I learned how to leverage myself on my gameboy and PS2, later DS, to try and connect with people. Suddenly I’m in Theatre class in middle school playing Metroid Prime Hunters under the table with 16 other people, and leading the scoreboard because it’s just Quake 3 on a foldable device and I know how to Quake-jump. Though when the teacher found out she was really mad… Well it was really funny either any way.

Later in high school I became more secluded again. I was really depressed after figuring out I was gay in 8th grade. I didn’t have anyone to talk to, I was terrified to ask my parents what to do about it or who to ask for guidance, and when I finally decided to bring it up with my parents I wrote a note, placed it on their bed, hid in my room, and when my dad found the note and brought it downstairs to my mom I was scared he was coming in my room to yell at me. They didn’t bring it up with me for a week, probably because they saw how skiddish I was; I was scared they were going to throw me out.
So not only did I This time I didn’t just hide in video games, I was discovering the internet.

// again, you’re referencing time ambiguously - was broadband directly following telling your parents you were homosexual? - Is this how we truely motivate ISPs to upgrade their networks?
Finally my town had been blessed with Broadband and my neighbors left their wifi open. I found out about Linux and IRC, played TF2 and Counterstrike online for the first time, got wrecked – and through it, the panic became a muted scream in the back of my head. Though it hasn’t really gone away since then, it’s because of music and video games that I got through any of that cravy (crazy?) first year of high school.
// you say the panic has stayed with you to this day; is the panic still about your parents reaction? If not, and even if so, some further explanation would go well here

(After high school? That’s what the end of the previous paragraph suggests) I got obsessed with drawing. It was all I did for 3 months. I even failed classes because I was doing my best to just keep it together and not break down and cry in class. When I got home, I’d hide in my room for as long as possible and play an illegal copy of audiosurf and watch torrented movies till I had to do chores or have dinner. Then I’d go to bed, wake up, and endure all this fear that, looking back now, has been, and was, really irrational.

// This really needs to be expanded, and definitely its own section
Eventually Chess Club was a big part of my life, having won some medals from competitions, I tried to play with people again but had gotten so rusty that I just gave up. Though me and Phil were still best buds, still are.

When I was graduated from high school I got something like 400 bucks to buy college books as my mom had decided that it was better to rush her nervous wreck of a son off to college rather than let him process what the hell was even going on in his mind. Instead of buy books I blew that 400 bucks on video games. I hid in my room playing .Hack Infection and Sly Cooper on a refurbished PS2 I got for my birthday till it was time to go to a shitty catholic school that only scared me more because of the meme of christians are anti-gay. And then I made friends by accident at lunch one day after hiding in my dorm for 2 months blasting club music and drum and bass trying to learn how to use DJ software and playing Battlefield 3 on the PS3 I got that XMas.

// unanswered questions: how did you make it far enough to “eventually” drop out if all the book money was spent?
Eventually I dropped out, still a nervous wreck and even thought of jumping off the academic building, planned it out and everything, and a post on facebook killed that plan almost immediately and I was quarantined to my dorm room for 2 days. No out or in only to classes with a campus security officer at my tail. When they decided I was ok, they left and it was just me again. I’d had a big fight with my friends, my boyfriend at the time had broken up with me, and it was just me in this empty room with a PS3 and a gamecube.

And just like those 3 months in Freshman year of high school, 7th grade of middle school, or basically all of elementary school, I ditched class to play video games by myself and hide from the world. I wanted to die, but I also wanted to see Solid Snake kick Sniper Wolf’s ass.

Now I’m here with a shitty laptop from 2004 writing a script. Dropped out of college, still depressed, playing video games till I have to go to bed for work at 4AM. I hate my job and hope that either something will come up that I can just do and enjoy, whether its music, art, computer work, anything but this hole I’ve dug myself into over the last few years.

But at least I still have video games.

I’mmrebuilding it. Theresmnot much there right now.

Look at the youtube channel NakeyJakey and you’ll get what I mean.

Ah,

1 Like

That, as well as like… Well every single one of his video’s. I like the format a lot more.