Schleswig-Holstein in Germany switches from Microsoft to Open Source

@noenken @MazeFrame can you translate please?

I can try.
Will Edit this post as I go along.

This should be it:
The English will be all over the place, but contexts and meaning are preserved. I marked parts I am unsure about with (?), to preserve context, I added a few sections. Marked with [ ].

6 Likes

Thanks buddy.

1 Like

My German isn’t the best, but I’m reading it as they plan to migrate to OSS to

1. minimize security vulnerabilities
  2. incentive smaller software companies to make software
  3. less dependence on single software providers
  4. Promote innovation?
1 Like

The main problem I see with the switch to open-source is the lack of trained staff in IT for administration and politics.
And the usual “make your own distro” -> bad idea, don´t do that!

I really want them to succeed. Microsoft is so shit since Win10 happened.

Interesting. Curious to see how it turns out. Zed Shaw had a dialog about this recently. Well, kinda, more about corporations using Open Source instead of governments. Depending on who you talk to, they’re kind of the same thing? :man_shrugging:

Changed my perspective a bit on the whole thing. But I’ll leave that for another thread. Will keep an eye on this. Interested to see where it goes.

When they say Q1 2020 for evaluation, then it will be a long while before we see meaningful results. It is government after all.

1 Like

Munich did something similar, though theirs was SUSE based if I remember correctly. They “could” use that.

It’s funny though that Munich is switching back to MS (because €€€ I guess), and the northern people are going the other direction.

1 Like

Ms has been shit since vista according to businesses around me. Service policy wise, they would call customer support and get hung up on most of the time.

Don’t let the headline fool you. Myself, I am suspicious of Microsoft having anything to do with the Linux Foundation. This began as a fly in the ointment and now, IMO, open source is becoming something other. Kiss it goodbye coz you will never auf wiedersehen the Linux you once knew again.

This has nothing to do with Microsoft in open source though.

1 Like

I’m more curious about workflows / services they’re providing that depend on custom non opensource software implementations - beyond just what individual employees happen to be running on their desktops.

Ideally, they should all be able to to their jobs from $150 Chromebooks (or some other kind of disposable machine that can run a browser like Firefox maybe, or even a windows desktop if they need Windows specific software).

Many companies including mine have been on the lookout for open source software.

Licensing is a sick fucking joke.
Control and ownership is nearly extinct.
The entire windows/office/ad catalog is moving to software as a service with monthly subscriptions per user.

Our biggest hurdle right now is manufacturer provided software that only runs on windows.

Corporate influence will be coming soon I bet.

All software is shit, to varying degrees.

The thing with Vista though is that Windows got “good enough” for business some time around Windows 2000/XP.

There’s very little that any business actually wants included in Windows since 2000, save for ongoing support. Which is getting ever more expensive to deal with…

You underestimate how handy AD truely is.

No i don’t.

AD came about in Windows 2000.

1 Like

It pisses me off how companies don’t mind paying 6 to £10 a month for O365 subscription per user but when you recommend a secure email provider like posteo.de to normal person for 1 euro/month they think you are out of your mind.

Although with O365 Business premium you get email and the office suite too.

No worries… Microsoft practically owns the Linux Foundation now anyway, being its biggest Contributor. :rofl:

Being a contributor has nothing to do with ownership.

Watch and wait.