SC-835 3U Rackmount Case, with Actively Cooled Ryzen 3700X + 6 Supermicro Fans: Manual Fan Speed Settings?

Hello,

I’m building a virtualization server with an Asrock Rack x570d4u-2L2T in a Supermicro 835. The CPU is a Ryzen 3700X at stock settings (no overclock) with a Wraith Prism cooler.

Front fans are 3x Supermicro FAN-0074L4.
Rear fans are 2x Supermicro FAN-0104L4.

My understanding, having not actually built a computer in 25 years and based mostly on YouTube videos, written articles, and thinking about how air moves in a semi-vacuum, is that I want the rear fans to exhaust at higher RPM than the front fans do intake. Is that correct?

I’ll admit I’m not 100 percent clear how CFM fits into that. I do know it’s a measure of how much air the fan can move per minute, but the spec listings talk in terms of max CFM, and I’m planning to try to run all 5 non-CPU fans as slow as possible, since the CPU has active cooling and I’m stuck trying to set this thing up in my bedroom. Where I sleep.

I got a set of sample manual fan fan settings when I bought this chassis, CPU, motherboard, and fan set used, but I’m a bit confused by them.

• Fans 1, 2, and 6 are the front fans
  • Fans 4 and 5 are the rear fans
  • Sample values
    ** Fans 1, 2, and 6 are set at 20, 22, and 22 percent of full speed, respectively.
    ** Fans 4 and 5 are set at 86 and 22 percent of full speed, respectively.

That 86 percent on fan 4 is really throwing me. I don’t understand why one rear fan is almost at full blast, and the other is barely on. Wouldn’t it make more sense to make them both equal at a higher setting? Like, 45 percent or something else more appropriate to match to the 20-22 percent on the front?

Or is the 86 percent needed to get enough cool air in, while running the other two much slower to minimize noise?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.