SAS9305-24i not detecting all disks

Hi

I have strange problem. My new 9305-24i only detects 16 out of 24 disks. Port 5 and 6 on the top edge of the card does not detect any disks at all. I have tried connecting it with different cables, to different backplanes and even relocating the HBA to my workstation and connecting it directly to a disk. Nothing works on these two ports, so I RMA it and the new one does exactly the same. Port 1-4 detects the 16 disks just fine, but nothing on port 5 and 6. The HBA came with the latest firmware and BIOS, but I flashed it using MegaRAID for windows, just to make sure, but no change.

sas3flash -o -testlsall, returns the following

Have you experienced anything like this?

Hardware :
Asrock x470 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 3400G
2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz non ECC
SAS9305-24i connected with SFF-8643 to SFF-8087 to backplane (I have tested all cables and backplanes and they work fine on port 1-4)
SATA HDD’s are a mix of WD120EMAZ and ST8000AS0002

Are you sure you got a new/different card and not your RMA’d one returned?

That was also my initial thought, but unfortunately I did not write down the S/N of the first one. I asked the seller if they by mistake sent me the same one, but they told me it was a new one and that I could RMA the second one also without problems. I would just like to make sure that it is not some strange hardware or BIOS compatibility problem on my end.

This might help you fix your problem

How to troubleshoot your LSI IT mode HBA in Linux and FreeNAS

Something strange with LSI 9206-16e… | How to fix LSI firmware settings

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately lsiutil does not seem to work on newer cards and I have not been able to find a substitute for it.

Is the card in a slot operating with all x8 lanes? If it’s not in the top slot, it may be a good idea to manually make sure you’ve set the PCIe slots for the top 2x16 slots in the x8/x8 configuration

The top slot is only running in x8 due to the iGPU. I have also tested the HBA in the borttom slot x4 PCIe 2.0, but same results

Which driver version might the card have? I see the other forum where you mention no drives are detected in server2019 but 16/24 are detected in bios.
Might you look up the model number from the Broadcom website, in case they have newer drivers/mega CLI tool?
If you already have (as you already run the sas2flash) then don’t mind me :slight_smile:

The BIOS and firmware are the latest and also the latest windows server driver.

1 Like

I have now also tried to downgrade firmware/BIOS and upgrade again, but no change to the problem.

The company I got it from tested the first one that I RMA’ed and they forund a solutiion.
The trick was to erase everything excl. Manufacturing area before flashing the firwmvare and BIOS onto the HBA. They did it in DOS, which I could not get working, as I was getting “ERROR: Failed to initialize PAL. Exiting program.”, but I got it working in EFI shell. Below are the DOS commands to use

• Sas3flsh -o -e 6 (erase everything excl. Manufacturing area)
  • Sas3flsh -f firmwarefile
  • Sas3flsh -b biosfile

They believe that the cards (refurbished) by mistake had been flashed with 16 port firmware, but still was reporting to be a 24 port card.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.