I’ve been browsing aliexpress to buy some SAS adapters for an LTO drive and discovered this oddity of a SAS to USB adapter that per reviews seems to actually work? From quick research the other alternative is CXRT adapter that does the same thing but instead of costing $40 it costs $500
Anyone actually tried these? I’m tempted to get one to try it out but the only SAS devices that I have are LTO drives. Surely this doesn’t support the full SCSI set…
If anyone has one of these cursed devices please open it up and post the pcb pics I really want to know what cursed engineering has occurred here
1 Like
I found a listing on Amazon (multiple, actually) so it appears to be legit. Having said that, the Amazon seller I looked at explicitly states U.2 drives are not supported. It also states that the unit doesn’t have a power brick included and SMART reports are essentially false/wrong/incorrect. (encircle as appropriate
)
Given that those online sellers usually reuse marketing stuff made available by the actual manufacturer it’s pretty safe to assume those claims are indeed correct.
3 Likes
U.2 support is understandable as there’s no PCIe connection and it’s just USB
But the lack of proper SMART data and it giving garbage data suggests that they just made a minimum viable product and filled the rest of the SAS protocol with polyfills and might not work with a lot of drives
Don’t have budget to just get one with bunch of SAS drives and probe it but boy it is tempting
1 Like
Anybody try one? Asking for . . . a friend.
With USB to PCIe bridges existing, there is no reason you can’t make a USB connected version of pretty much anything PCIe.
I wouldn’t trust these in a production system, but that’s likely not what they are intended for. Use cases for these are probably for data recovery, disk wiping, imaging before going into a production system, troubleshooting etc. etc.
It’s something you keep in your box-o-tools that might come in handy some day in a pinch while troubleshooting a server or workstation. It is NOT something you would use to connect a bunch of SAS drives via USB and run a storage pool off of. That would probably be a really bad idea.
4 Likes