Sanity Check for 7950X build

Hello all

I would like a sanity check for a build I’m planning. I understand the combination might seem a bit weird but this is for some data processing not for gaming.

PCPP list is not entirely correct (it does not have the correct SSD options for me) but here it is nevertheless

|CPU|AMD 7950X|
|Cooler|Thermalright FS140|
|MB|Asus ProArt X670E|
|RAM|G.Skill S5 2x48GB DDR6-6400 F5-6400J3239F48GX2-RS5K|
|GPU|ASUS PROART-RTX4060TI-O16G OR MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti GAMING X SLIM 16G|
|SSD|Intel Optane 905P 1.5TB U.2|
|SSD|15.36TB U.2|
|Acc| GLOTRENDS PU21 2-Port U.2 SSD PCIe 4.0 X8 Converter Adapter Card| https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B0CNG9VYTD/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=A2U8VZM1U76234&psc=1
|PSU|SUPER FLOWER LEADEX VII GOLD 850W SF-850F14XG|
|Case|ANTEC Performance 1 Silent|

Comments :
MB : I chose the ProArt X670E for TB4, x16->x8x4x4 bifurication and 10GbE.

RAM : I plan on running it at 6000MT/s anyway, those were the cheapest 6000+ RAM I found. I know 6400 or even 6200 on AM5 can be tricky.

GPU : I went for the 4060Ti 16GB as this is the cheapest Ada Lovelace GPU with 16GB RAM. I need <3 slot GPU to use the two U.2 drives in the 2nd PCIe slot on the motherboard, and also to not let the GPU suffocate. I am aware I will be running the GPU at x8 not x16 but this GPU is electrically x8 anyway.
I’m debating between the two 4060Ti, whether I should go with the Proart or the MSI Slim. MSI is slimmer, but ProArt is slightly cheaper.

SSD : I already have a 15.36TB SSD so the brand is not relevant here.

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. Especially the 2x U.2 adaptor card, anyone with any experience with that? Amazon comments seem to suggest it does work but I’m always a bit scared with these cards.

Thanks a lot in advanced!

Looks like a decent plan. I have a pretty similar build (7950x w/ proart and 2x48GB 6400MT). I can only get it to run at 6200 though.

You could consider using m.2 to u.2 adapters. While janky, they would leave the slot open for later use and keep the GPU more clear (probably quieter).

What OS are you going to run?
Do you need VFIO capability?
What are you going to do with the TB4 interface?

PS: I would wait for Computex (Zen5 release) before building anything new, unless it is really urgent.

Just a reminder, you plan to use bifurcation based adaptor boards, and AM5 platfoms is not very friendly for that use case, especially if you want to use gpu as well.

You will have to device which device will end up bandwidth starved. And if yoiu want to use botjh u.2 slots then you must use first x16 slot in x4x4x4x4 configuration. Even then it might not work

1 Like

You might want to look into ECC memory at least something that follows JEDEC standards as far as memory goes. You very likely want to stay within specs rather than overclocking if you’re going to data processing.

Unless you’re going to use CUDA the video card is just a waste of money more or less

The PSU is fine but quite expensive for what it is depending on region.

Cooler seems decent although quite loud

This is not true. The 4060ti has only 8 lanes any way, and the other slot can do x4/x4. So the GPU and both SSD get their full bandwith. See the manual

The manual is even outdated, since they have added a new option for x8/x4/x4 in just the top slot (required for this 4060(ti) of asus with the m.2 on the back).

In this respect AM5 is much better than Intel, since 12-14th gen platform only supports x8/x8 bifurcation.

1 Like

Thanks.

This was the cheapest 6000+ kit of 2x48GB I found, cheaper than other 6000 kits. I plan on just running it at 6000 worst case scenario.

I did consider M.2 to U.2 adapters but that seems more expensive (and cables seems to be a bit of a nightmare), plus I was planning on having a fan on the bottom blowing directly on the two U.2 drives for cooling.

That’s why I settled on this. If I use adapters I’ll need to find a case that provides actual active cooling to the 2.5" drives. Coz I can’t put those drives on any of the 2.5" spots the back of the motherboard that exist in most cases (this case included)

Thanks.

I’ll be using Windows 11.

VFIO, not at this moment but never say never (but that would be more experimental than actual need.

TB4, I have a laptop with TB4, I plan on using that and Thunderbolt networking to create a 20Gb connection to connect to the 15.36TB as an extra data processsing machine. I have experimented and can confirm that thunderbolt networking works BUT whether it works as nice as I imagine, I will need the actual computer assembled to test. In this case, my workstation would basically be a glorified NAS to the notebook. While processing data on the workstation itself at the same time, of course.

Yes I did consider waiting for Zen5. I’m aware that it’s coming but I’m not sure if I really want to deal with any potential issues with a new architecture (Zen5 rumored to be quite a new one?), plus the 7950X now is probably a bit cheaper than the “9950X” (or whatever it’ll be called then). I would probably be able to upgrade anyway. And even if we consider the new chipset - rumors suggest it’s basically X670E + proper USB4 support, which I have on this motherboard anyway (actual TB4 controller) so I seem to have all bases covered. Worst case scenario I’ll sell the 7950X and get a “9950X”.

Thanks. Yes as quilt mentioned below, I checked the bifurication and it seems to check out. But thanks for the reminder.

Seems like I just need to run Auto Mode for PCIEX16_1 and PCIE RAID Mode for PCIEX16_2 and I’ll get x8 in the 1st one and x4x4 in the 2nd one.

1 Like

Thank you!

I did consider ECC but cost and “Zen 4 sweetspot is DDR5-6000” made me go for this kit. I don’t plan on actually running it at 6400, just that this was the cheapest set of 2x48GB rated 6000+. I plan on manually setting it to 6000.

Yes I am planning on CUDA only, this is the cheapest way to get 16GB on Ada Lovelace (didn’t want to buy something older)

PSU pricing is not too bad but I’ll double check the price difference again.

Noise is not too much of a concern. I’ll rely on tuning and the noise reduction foam on the case to reduce the noise a bit.

How you know what is the “sweetspot” (or specs) for an unreleased platform is beyond me but oh well…

Sorry, typo, I meant to say “Zen 4 sweetspot is DDR5-6000”

For processing it doesn’t really matter much at all (real applications) and it’s out of spec
See https://www.phoronix.com/review/amd-ryzen-ecc-ddr5-5200/4 for example

1 Like

The setup should work great for your purpose.
The sweet spot of Zen5 probably would be 6400.

2 Likes