Sanity check: Does a Renoir APU actually support HDMI 2.1? (LG CX OLED only operates within HDMI 2.0b limitations)

Hi,

I think I messed up with a Renoir HTPC build: Up until this week I had been certain that Renoir APUs supported HDMI 2.1 (meanining UHD/120 Hz/Full RGB with 10 bpc color).

I got an LG CX OLED TV (first new TV since 2008, so was pretty giddy) for a HTPC with a 4750G.

Latest AMD drivers, Windows 10 20H2 updates and it only runs UHD/60 Hz/Full RGB with 8 bpc color. I can choose up to 120 Hz but the color settings get automatically reduced to YCbCr 4:2:0 with 8 bpc color.

(limitations of HDMI 2.0)

Does anybody know if Renoir APUs actually really support HDMI 2.1?

I’ve only found “rumor sources” so far but no official specs by AMD after Renoir’s OEM launch.

The motherboard I use is a Gigabyte B550 Vision D, it states in its specs that its HDMI port supports HDMI 2.1 but only UHD/60 Hz, which is a bit contradictory :frowning:

Can anybody point to anything “official” regarding HDMI 2.1 with Renoir APUs?

Ooo weee, I think I f’d myself pretty hard :frowning:
(the only reason to build the system was to properly drive an HDMI 2.1 OLED screen with its full potential without a dedicated Ampere or Big Navi GPU, meh)

Found it. The port is HDMI “2.1” but on page 12 of the manual of your mobo it says

The HDMI port is HDCP 2.3 compliant and supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio formats. It also supports up to 192KHz/24bit 7.1-channel LPCM audio output. You can use this port to connect your HDMI-supported monitor. The maximum supported resolution is 4096x2160@60 Hz, but the actual resolutions supported are dependent on the monitor being used

Feeling like you’ve been taking crazy pills?

Unless your motherboard has this bridge chip to the HDMI internally, I am highly suspicious your motherboard can do HDMI 2.1 out.

Plus the APU’s utilized in AM4 sockets are based on Vega cores… pre RDNA2…preRDNA1 chips never had hdmi 2.1 support by design.

If Gigabyte were future proofing the board, it would entail they have information not available to customer about upcoming APU that may use big NAVI (read HDMI 2.1) based apu’s that AMD could release in Mid to Late 2021 (That is even more far fetched by my estimate)

I just checked a bunch of X570 and B550 mobo spec sheets and most of the X570 ones are HDMI 1.4b and the B550 one’s are HDMI2.1 but they mention that it’s capped at 4k 60hz. It’s just gigabye that didn’t mention the limitation on the official mobo spec page. You would have probably caught it. Tough luck.

:frowning:

1 Like

Another problem is also that a lot of new TVs supposedly supporting HDMI 2.1 don’t seem to work right. According to a german news outlet heise they tested some LG, Samsung and more TVs and neither of them completely worked with either a XBOX, PlayStation, Navi or RTX 3K card.

I thought that issue was caused by faulty Panasonic HDMI chipsets that had been used in most current HDMI 2.1-capable AV receivers?

Or is there yet another thingy…?

Does anybody have an idea when small “office-grade” dGPUs with proper HDMI 2.1 ports are going to be released?

The case I’m using right now is a Streacom FC10 Alpha with a 240 W PSU.

Was a great combination for an APU-only build, with a flexible riser I could at least add a 2-slot dGPU as long as it doesn’t require PCIe PSU power cables :-/

Yeah that’s an interesting question. If at all it will be next Summer. And then too I have doubts, because Nvidia/AMD might just “refresh” older cards to fill up the lower end of the market (very unlikely tho).

That was a problem as well, indeed, but I do believe that that’s a different problem. Sony even said that they are going to update some TV line to make use of HDMI2.1, which is quite ironic that it don’t come with it already if you ask me :joy:

I don’t find the article right now unfortunately.

That’s just Sony Sony-ing, nothing new :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.