SanDisk USB flash drive causes Windows 10 to unlock to a black screen

As title says, my 128GB SanDisk Ultra Flair 3.0 is causing Windows to unlock to a black screen. The mouse is visible and able to be moved around, and ctrl+alt+delete still allows access to the correct menu. The computer will not shut down or restart unless you manually hold the power button. In addition to these problems, if you plug it in after unlocking the computer and try to access the File Explorer, the File Explorer crashes. If plugged in after File Explorer is opened, you can see the drive pop up, but when trying to access the drive it loads infinitely. Any ideas for fix or any explanations as to why this is happening? (I would greatly prefer to keep my files on this as it has about a year’s worth of D&D notes in it)

Something obviously wrong here, so I think your first step should be doing a backup of all your files (The USB and your windows install). It sounds like it could be either hardware or software related.

Have you tried the USB in different USB ports? And what about a different computer? After that try it with a linux live cd (Create a bootable USB stick with Rufus on Windows | Ubuntu), If the issue is with your Windows installation, this will allow you to copy data off the USB.

If you’re using a Ryzen system maybe try a bios update - apparently there have been some issues with earlier BIOS versions. AMD Investigating USB Connectivity Issues with Ryzen PCs | Tom's Hardware

I forgot to send in the update on this thread, but I’m fairly certain it’s not a problem with my Windows install because it has done the same thing on several different computers. Another issue that I found out about is that when plugged in, the flash drive gets very hot to the touch, so I have avoided plugging it in more to avoid causing damage to anything inside of it.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.