Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 - Color Calibration and Review

Placeholder.

G9 Neo Review Color Calibration

TODO once video is live.

Further Compatibility issues

Guess what doesn’t work with the G9 Neo? AMD APUs. Doenst work with the 5700g on HDMI or dp outputs of the Apu.

6 Likes

What have been your go to cables?
I’ve bought 5 meter Displayport cables from Ugreen, worked with a 1440p60, but the ultrawide 3440x1440 at 144hz had glitches. Switching to the 3 meter cable fixed it for me.

For hdmi 2.0 i’ve used a 3 meter ugreen cable (rtx 2080 doesn’t have hdmi 2.1, but i could try it on my laptop with a rtx 3070)

1 Like

Yummy…and love the ASrock Deskmini X300. I wish I had know about the Jupiter and Mars versions. Not that you can buy them…lol

Ouch… thats not good it wont work. Updates needed for APU or software for the monitor?

Be sure to point out all the good things about this monitor so I can convince the wife I need a upgrade and she can have my AGON 37" Ultrawide LOL

I have the older version non-Neo. Cables are really hit or miss, mostly miss if trying to achieve full resolution at 240hz.

Club3d were the most reliable. Though I replaced one 3ft as it was giving me issues all the time. The new one from amazon looked different so I think there are different variants or even knock-offs.

Wendel has mentioned using optical Displayport, which honestly when using DSC, and with a long enough distance or using a KVM, it is practically a requirement.

1 Like

ITS THE CLUB3d KNOCKOFF. I have been experiencing that lately too from a few kvm customers. the club3d cables were more maginal than I am used to. post pics!

I got some too. REEEEE

1 Like

How random, I just picked up this monitor ($500 off a BBuy recently) and I snagged a Level1 KVM (delivers tomorrow!)

I upgraded to 1008 firmware right away. I haven’t messed with the OSD too much and I have generally been really happy with the quality of the screen.

Color representation is fine as I’m not a YouTuber or pro Photographer. Skin tones and colors on websites aren’t jarring but rather familiar.

I’ve ran it at 240hz with a 30-series and it works great (using optical actually), I run it using usb-c to DP to a MacBook Pro M1 and it works, but only at 120hz. There isn’t an option for 240hz at the native resolution. This may just be a macos issue however since Monterey on M1 macs is limited (see SwitchResX limitations…)

Gaming feels great and the HDR actually feels awesome. I know reviewers have to nit pick what’s claimed vs reality, but I haven’t noticed the mid-tone issues. I thought Forza Horizon 5 looked especially good. It was so bright I had to turn the backlight down. The darks were pitch black too. I’m sure if you pixel peep you can point things out, but if you actually just play the game and report the experience then I think you’ll be super happy.

As for 4k vs this dual-1440p. I hear Wendell about vertical, but honestly the 49" super-ultrawide is different than the 34"/38" 3440x1440p ultrawides. This feels like I glued my two 27" 1440p monitors together and I don’t feel the height squish I did from the smaller ultrawides.

I’m not sure what size 4K monitor I’d need to run it native 4K to utilize the extra pixels. 43" 48"? I’ve seen 43" 4K in person and it’s about as small as I could go. 48" would feel better and the height on my desk would feel overwhelming. Maybe I’ll try it… then again it would just be an LG C1/CX TV right?

I’ve really really enjoyed the 49" 32:9 form factor. Having the center real-estate usable (vs two 1440p monitors) is a game changer. It feels more like “triple monitor” than dual. I have my code editor in the middle, terminal and telegram on the right and a browser on the left. It’s awesome!

I’ll report back on my KVM testing. The ATEN KVM I’ve tried failed because it lacks DP 1.4 support. Looking forward the the L1 KVM and how it handles going between Mac and PC.

1 Like

Haha. I wish I took pics. I will admit that I purchased another cable from Amazon, saw it was different, and returned the faulty one. Amazon sold me a fake one, so they can take it back.

I could take a pic of what I have now which apparently works. The one I have that works is marked “8K” on it.

1 Like

Glad to see you review this Neo version.

I have the previous generation G9. (and a quad port Level1 DP 1.4 KVM)

Ive stuck with 120hz since that is all i need.

I guess its what i’ll stay with until theres a 49" OLED version

1 Like

Hey Wendell,

I was interested to see your review of this monitor, I was considering it for my last upgrade but ended up with a LG 38GN950-B and I was curious if you’d looked at something like that before. I agree with your comments about missing the vertical height, and just sticking more and more horizontal space isn’t really a good way forward. The LG is closer to a 21:10 monitor though (it’s a 3840x1600 panel which puts it at a really odd in-between aspect ratio). I’ve found it to be a good compromise of being a single panel without compromising too much on vertical height.

1 Like

Nice review on the monitor. Appreciate your view and insights.
Just wanted to share my experiences with the monitor, since I’m using the Neo G9 (LS49AG952NUXEN) as my main working and gaming monitor a couple of months now. I was using Samsung’s 49" 1440p 120Hz FreeSync G9 predecessor as my main before and am using this old one for my simracing rig now.

I’m happy using this 32:9 1440p display format as a professional software developer (alot of static images, so OLED is nogo) and as a hobby simracer. Using PowerToys’ FancyZones in Windows and Priority Grid is just awesome for work. You’ve your coding window in the center in a 16:9 to 12:9 format, and borderless to the right and left the documentation and a test instance. Wouldn’t want to do that on a 16:9 or 21:9 aspect ratio. The monitor would also work really well for windowed streams, having the chat one side, OBS on the other and the game window centered. Also I mounted it on a single “heavy” duty monitor arm, hard mounted to my desk, to get rid of massive space requirements of the included stand and to raise it a little bit more in favor of my back.

The firmware 1008.0 broke the High Local dimming option, which you were experiencing. Version 1007.3 was OK at that but had really bad HDR Dynamic mode, of which they tried to fix with the tone mapping in 1008.0. It’s still bad and you’ll (imo) be better of with HDR Standard mode for now. Unfortunately Samsung never tells you the changelog and you cannot freely decide, which firmware is the best for you.

The cable might look decent, but I had to replace it with your suggested Club3D cable of Amazon. I also added a pair of extra ferit cores to the new cable. The included cable failed the signal integrity test with a VESA certified DP1.4 tester and led to the Nvidia virtual screen blackouts you described in your cable video @ 240Hz 10-bit. Cable was managed with all my other peripherals and cables, so shielding might be a problem with these included ones. The Club3D cable i bought is also much thicker and longer (3m/10ft) and still works perfectly fine in every situation.

There are a couple situations, which will trigger the “scanline” issue for me at a 100% rate, as outlined in the forum post “Answer from Samsung HQ about scanlines with G7/G9/Neo G9” at Samsungs EU site. Just google it and you’ll find it. It’s most noticable at 240Hz, but still exists on 120Hz and 60Hz (at least on my panel(s)). Please do not look at the pictures itself, look at the rest of the panel suddenly switching color tone or becoming darker while switching between those images and normal ones. Every second row of pixels turns yellow in this case and this issue is inherited from the predecessor G9. Also ICC profiles and OSD settings might have an significant impact on that regard. E. g. lowering Sharpness and Black Equalizer partially eliminates the occurrences, but the overall panel image may look very bad. The included ICC profile (CD / Samsung download) also turns parts of the blue color ranges into purple - don’t know what they tried to achieve here.

Samsung QC of these panels have been reported to be an issue multipe times as well (e. g. dust particals inside the panel; panels which won’t work at 240 Hz, only 120 Hz or less or just DoA; a lot of dead pixels; clearly visible lines of the FALD (Full Array Local Dimming); etc.). I had luck with my device(s) so far. Just the scanline issue is still an issue I can’t get rid of…

3 Likes

Hi Wendell, do you know when this color calibration will be released now that the video is live?

1 Like

I’ve just watched the review on YouTube and wanted to give my opinion on one its predecessor, since I am using one for over two years now. (The C49 RG9 to be more specific.)

Anyway, I have grown to love this monitor and form factor and from my standpoint recommending two 4k screens does not come close to the experience this one provides and while I did not pay 2.5k$ for mine it would still (probably) pay this price if I had to buy a new one right now. That being said, where I’m living they are available for 2.2k$ and pack then I payed 1.3k$ for mine.

Also, I’m using this monitor almost for gaming alone and for me 32:9 offers a sweetspot between VR immersiveness without the downsides VR currently still holds. Granted, a few games need fidgeting to get them to work in 32:9 properly and often one has to resort to editing the executable with a hex editor, but newer games usually support it out of the box.

Furthermore, while the image (and colours) do look good, the HDR experience has been lacking, but this could very well be due to the games not properly supporting HDR. (A few good implementations of HDR have been Horizon: Zero Dawn and Guardians of the Galaxy.)

Another negative point that should be mentioned is that the screen cracks when it has been turned off due to the temperature change and the material contracting. While not disturbing or anything it is a bit odd the first few times.

So yeah, not a review since I’ve been praising the product too much, but to reiterate my point from earlier having two monitors for work and one form gaming is not a comparable experience to gaming on this one. (Nowadays, when I see other games on a screen it is just missing something :laughing: )

1 Like

I’m so confused about the cable and length thing. Displayport specifically. I have the latest firmware and the monitor works great noticed the purple thing though yea so it’s not me. Lol. Anyway, do I need a kvm I just need to have I’m thinking a 3 meteré rather than the 6 foot cable i have. Do I have to habe a kvm for that?

After I test some KMV from Amazon all add some glitchy frames from time to time . So before I invest again can someone tell me if this Level1 KVM is working good . Does it work proper at 5120x1440 120Hz ?
Thank you.

Its in the kvm faq

Id recommend fibbr brand fiber optic cables and make sure yoube got updated moniotr firmware. Samsung monitor fw is buggy af even filly updated. But it does work.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.