Samsung Enterprise SSDs show up in H200 BIOS, but show 0B size in Proxmox

Hey all, weird issue i’ve run into with 6 of these Samsung Enterprise SSDs. I have installed in a Dell PE R710 and have replaced the controller with a H200 HBA in IT Mode. In the controller BIOS it sees all 6 drives fine, but after installing Proxmox none of the drives show up in the GUI. If i run LSBLK it shows all 6 of the SSD drives but all 6 show a capacity of 0 Bytes. If I run FDISK -L it doesn’t show any of the SSDs. Anyone have any idea why the HBA isn’t passing these disks through to the OS the way it’s supposed to?

EDIT: For clarification Proxmox is installed on 2 mirrored SAS HDDs connected to the same controller that show up in Proxmox just fine. I should have noticed something was off when none of the SSDs showed up in the installer as candidates for the OS install.

EDIT 2: So to add to the weirdness, when I run LSHW on the host it does list the drives, but it shows ‘logicalsectorsize=512’ and ‘sectorsize=8320’. The 2 HDDs the host OS is installed on both have matching logicalsector and sector sizes.

Let’s gather some more information.

What does smartctl -ax /dev/<devicename> show? Also, these are SAS drives. What does the lsscsi command show?

2 Likes

Here is the output of the lsscsi command:

and here is the output of smartctl -ax /dev/sdb

I’ve run these after rebooting the server and entering the H200 BIOS and formatted all 6 of the SSDs. It’s so strange that Proxmox is reading the physical sector size as 8320 bytes. I don’t know enough about storage and sectors and such to know if that’s why the disks are unusable or if it’s just coincidence.

Have you spotted the problem? It’s right there in the smartctl log

Nope. The drive reports
Logical block size: 520

You’ll need to reformat the drive with a block size of 512.
Follow this guide: How to reformat 520 byte drives to 512 bytes (usually)

3 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if I’m blind or just pants-on-head retarded. Thank you kind sir.

1 Like