Samsung 960 EVO Getting Seriuously hot, is this normal?

So I got a Samsung 960 EVO 256GB SSD I’ve been using for about 4 years ago, however it wasn’t until very recently I decided to take a look at temperatures and found some very weird behavior.

So in HWINFO64, the 2nd temperature sensor is reporting SERIOUSLY high temperatures, with the highest recorded temps I’ve seen being almost 110C.

Some people are saying this is the memory controller, but honestly seems nobody on the internet knows.

Can anyone give any insight as to what this temperature sensor is, and why it’s so high? And is it okay?

I mean, it has ran like this for 4 years, (probably not hitting 110C, but definitely in the mid 90Cs), so i think it’s okay.

(FYI, idle temps are nowhere near these temps, the current temps on the graph are when I ran a ssd benchmark.)

Hows air flow, whats ambient? (also you will almost never stress an SSD like you are when running a benchmark) Flash likes to be hot controllers not so much so you arent hurting the memory just the controller if anything. (not sure what tjmax is tho for it)

Ambient is like 70F, sometimes 75F.

Airflow is good, i got 3 140mm fans at 950RPM in exhaust in a Phanteks Evolv ATX TG. Front intake is a corsair 240mm AIO.

However I ran this test with nothing else warm, only ran it after a gaming session. (still even if i cold boot the system, i’ll hit 95-100C on the 2nd temp)

Yeah I figured. I heard flash likes to be warm. But I can’t find anything as to if A. that 2nd temp is controller temp and B. What’s the safe zone for it.

It doesnt seem that crazy form other reports, I would throw a heat sink on it if possible but it probably doesnt go that high during regular use so I woudnt worry that much.

2 Likes

Might be possible though. Perhaps TechFusion took the entire front panel of.

I just ran HWinfo myself to compare those numbers to my 960PRO, and after Crystal Disk Mark run I’m getting nowhere near your numbers. Then again I do have an EKWB heatsink on mine.
960PRO HWINFO64

1 Like

Certainly something to test. And yes, I also have small heatsinks on my NVME drives.

1 Like

Seems Ambient really isn’t affecting this drive. For example, drive temps under load are basically identical in the case of my GPU is maxed out and really bring up case temps (2060 Super XC Ultra), or whether the computer has been idling for hours and I run something intensive on the SSD.

And FYI I’m using Samsung Magician’s benchmark software, so I’m not sure if that is super demanding like a synthetic workload or not. But when just transferring files from one SSD to another (granted it’s from NVME to SATA SSD) the 2nd drive temp only hits high 80s and low 90s.

Ok did another test, just crystaldiskmark this time, and the computer has been idle for about 4 hours this morning, hasn’t done anything intensive.

I know my case isn’t an airflow case, however I’m running a highly negative pressure setup, i can feel air going thru the PCI-E slots noticeably. Plus these SSDs are supposed to work in laptops with no airflow, so i can’t imagine airflow would be a problem.

Anyways thanks all for the help, there’s like no information on this drive on temps. So I think I’m just going to run it until it dies. It has been running like this for 4 years, so I can’t imagine it’s not operating within spec or it would have died years ago.

Capture2

Just as a side thing, why? I have frequently heard where possible it is better to have positive pressure in your case, though never really questioned why.

1 Like

Dust. It keeps the dust down because you’re not drawing air in from the various gaps in the case. Assuming of course you have filters over your intakes otherwise it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.