Samba AD and Windows server 2022

So I have been using Samba AD with good success and it works pretty well. However, it only emulates a Windows server 2008 which is fine for most usecases but it does not work with modern versions of Windows server.

Is there a way to make Windows server 2022 or a more recent version of Windows server work in a Samba AD environment? If that isn’t possible, can I export group policy and users so that I create another domain based on Windows server?

Samba AD works really well and it quite stable and reliable. The problem is that server 2008 is to old to be compatible with modern Windows server.

Edit:

Home/lab environment or something more important?

It’s been a while since I used Samba AD, but you could probably just add a WS 2022 DC to the Samba AD domain and decomission the Samba DC.

My first guess is on your Windows 2022 host see if it has SMBv1.2 or SMBv1.1 disabled by default. That would be the first place i’d look to explain why your 2022 host isn’t playing nice in your environment.

Here is the solution:

You migrate to 2012r2 and then 2022

I managed to get it working by moving over to Fedora Server 40 and then bumping the domain level to 2012_R2