Sailfish OS thoughts / opinions?

Reading through their web page, think I like what I’m seeing so far. Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions?

1 Like

I don’t see the appeal.

Their interface is proprietary, like iOS. If you’re fine using proprietary software, other OSes offer more features and a better experience. If you want openness, Android exists. If you want really open, other Linuxes do, too.

Do Any others run android apps in sand boxes and have vpn integration?

I’ve never seen an OS that runs Android apps better than Android.

Anbox exists and can run under any Linux. I’ve not yet seen it shipped in a working state by default on any OS, but “ships in a working state” is rare outside of Android and iOS, period.

If you put Sailfish on something, a review would be neat. I think a few people are waiting for the Android thing. If it actually works, they might want to know.

1 Like

Android apps worked fine with the necessary toolkit.

But since a couple years back already Russia bought the whole project so make of that what you will.

1 Like

I was wondering about the privately owner part! Also they are advertising full file encryption at least home feet/user data encryption!

I forget the name but there is a play store alternative that give you access to play store but it’s randomized anonymous access. Forgot the name of it.

That would have been the ‘yalp’ app, (just Play written backwards).

But anyways I don’t really have any up-to-date info therefore much of an opinion about it all, apart from yes it being a finnish company founded my ex-nokia employees etc etc so they’re not greenies by that aspect. It’s more a matter of funding and widespread adoption.
Well, speaking of adoption the Russians were planning to ban other OS:es on the government level and implement Sailfish but like I said I haven’t touched it in a couple of years so I’m not qualified to really be of any opinion.