Ryzen, Radeon, Firefox & Youtube HD. GPU runs at 100%

Hi! I hope this is in the proper category.

The issue I’m having is my Radeon GPU’s running at 100% load at max clock speeds while watching youtube video’s in HD on Firefox. The graphics cards are RX 580, R9 Fury, and RX 560 and the kicker is this only happens on my Ryzen systems. I tried to duplicate it on a FM2+ with the RX 580 and RX 560 (the fury doesn’t fit in the case) and it works like it should with 5% GPU load. I also tried different drivers and the Crimson drivers do the same but will allow the GPU to throttle down if the youtube settings are set to 480p. That doesn’t happen with the Adrenalin drivers. It stays at full load - Max clocks until I reset the drivers. This is on Win 10 Pro. This is not a problem when using Chrome, but to me using Chrome is like having all my personal info posted on a billboard in times square.

Is anyone else having this issue or know of a solution?

Can only confirm that it occurred here as well, with the latest version of Firefox and AMD driver installed. I googled and saw some mentioning of that changing the decoder that Firefox uses for Youtube could help. But I just happened to have Firefox installed and am not a regular user of it.

Can you downgrade the driver and get by with that?
Do you have an older version of firefox to test out?

I’ll have to check into that decoder. I don’t have a older version of Firefox, But I did try going back to Crimson 17.3.3 and still had 100% GPU usage.

We are on 18.3.3 as of yesterday… and chipset released on 3.12.

Get updated.

Thank you for the reply but I already did that yesterday with no improvement.

Edit: This problem is not new https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/100754-radeon-adrenalin-100-gpu-usage-bug-windows-10-a.html

Malware…spyware…Mozilla also uses multithreading and hardware acceleration.

Take a look at running processes. Mining crypto on the sly. Have you tried forcing html version of youtube ect… I have not ever seen the bug… I running 1700x and pair of Furies.

Crypto mining on the sly was my initial thought.

Firefox has a safe mode option, try running and see if you get the same results on youtube.

Its under help > restart firefox without addons

I want to thank you for your replies. The people at RTG know about this issue but it’s still unresolved. They say that disabling AMDDVR is a workaround for the problem, But I don’t have relive installed. I guess I watch youtube on firefox at 480p until it’s fixed.

I may have solved the problem. In Radeon settings, Global Graphics, I switched the GPU workload switch from Graphics to Compute. It is behaving correctly so far with no ill effects. My firestrike score was actually a bit higher and the BMW GPU benchmark for blender was faster, and 1080P Youtube video on firefox is running the GPU at 300MHz instead of 1380MHz.

Just thought I should pass this along.

Edit:, After a reboot, it did it again. Went back to Crimson 11.7.1 WHQL. Now it’s fine.