Ryzen "Package Temp"?

Hello L1,

I posted a list of components a while back and got some of them today, so naturally I started building (using the old GPU for now) and I’m not really sure what to think of that:

:thinking:

Now I haven’t done anything in the BIOS except an update to the current version and setting my RAM to 3200MHz, but something’s odd about that package temperature bouncing around 100°C.

Before you ask - I went the whole ten yards and slapped a Noctua NH-D15 on my shiny new 2700X, so I really doubt the cooling is insufficient…
Am I missing something?

I haven’t done any testing just yet, since I feel a bit unfomfortable with that graph…

Look at two things: Thermal paste and internal airflow.

This is plenty. Share a picture of your case? I’ve got a feeling you have a bad airflow setup.

100°C package temps combined with 35°C core temps doesn’t make sense to me.

What does it look like if you reset your BIOS to default?

Hold on, what monitoring tool is this?

Are you using Windows? If so, use Ryzen Master.

This tool is called OCCT.
I am using windows.

Case is a shiny CM H500P Mesh, so I daresay airflow is plenty.

This is default settings.

I got second and third “opinions” by HWInfo64 & Ryzen Master and I think I’m gonna call bullshit on OCCT’s reading there, because the other two don’t show anything like that.
And considering HWI is disregarding the 10°C offset, readouts are consistent between the two.

Now off to see how low I can get VCore while maintaining good clocks…

Btw Ryzen Master shows ~68°C with p95 running full bore small FFTs so I think I’m fine temp-wise…

Concern

concern fades

Do you have your fans configured in a sane fashion? I don’t mean to ask stupid simple questions, but you’d be surprised how many people do things like that. My brother had fans set up on a system once so that it only cooled the CD drive.

You’re probably fine.

AMD does a lot of wonky stuff with temp sending that I’m not a fan of. It would be nice for them to just statically report the temps, but they like making things difficult for everyone involved.

:rofl:

Well the case is in its default configuration, the two 200mm fans pump air in, the exhaust fan does what an exhaust fan does [insert simpsons meme here].
The fans on the D15 are pushing air from the front of the case to the back of the case…
Brace yourself, potato picture:
interior_s
So basically like any sane person would do? :crazy_face:

Common Sense is not always so common.

Yeah, airflow setup looks perfectly fine to me. If you’re concerned with your temps, you could make sure your paste is getting full coverage of the IHS or you could double check that your CPU fans are actually ramping up, but aside from that, there’s not much to do.

Frankly, 68C at 4.1GHz while running P95 is pretty good from where I’m standing and well within tolerance.

1 Like

It’s running at 3875 on all cores right now, but I just started fiddling with the settings in BIOS, set VCore offset to neg 0.125 and it’s humming away at ~65,5°C.
Checking thermal paste might be an option, but going “pea-sized blob in the middle and applying pressure evenly” should’ve done it for now.
Also I can clearly hear the fans ramping up, they do pack quite a punch.

That should be good. Hmm, the 2700x might just be a warm CPU. I’ve got a 1700 and I hit 52 going full bore at 3.75 on the stock cooler.

Ah, so set to 3200 didn’t mean OC to 3200. Got it.

Well it sounds like you’ve worked out its just a software error, so have fun.

I think you’ll love the Noctua. I’ve had the NH-D15S on my (former primary, now gaming) system for a while — love it. Got some NA-HC3 Chromax Heatsink Covers to black it out and channel the airflow a bit more. They’re nice as well.

Should have clarified. I run a pair of 16GB 3200MHz CL14 RipJaws, so technically it’s “defaults with XMP loaded”.

And yes, I already love the D15. This thing is an absolute monster.
I had to double-check Noctua’s compatibility list because there’s really not much space between it and the PCIe slot…

I had the same concerns. The NH-D15 sits centred on the CPU, but the NH-D15S is asymmetrical — it sits further toward the top of the board and provides more clearance for beefy graphics cards in slot one.

The 95C value that your software is reporting is what is known as PTC (Package Thermal Control) value.

This is the set temperature at which Ryzen will throttle to reduce temperatures. This value is configurable between various ranges and will also automatically increase to 105C in certain boost states.

It of course is entirely different from the current actual temperature, rather it is a thermal ceiling set point.

I’ve now seen a few cases where incompatible software reports the PTC temperature as the package temperature.

The current best compatible software for whole system info readout is HWInfo

https://www.hwinfo.com

2 Likes

For starters that HWInfo was for me super messy, and/but eventually it staid like this

Havent used that summary at all
its always logging and I like to peek these with new game :joystick::monkey: