Ryzen P-States info & ASRock Mainboard updates

A fresh Windows to Go USB stick might be useful in doing initial new bios tests.

iommu groups did not change on 1.94. :-\

I have a 1080 + RX 480 in system now and windows dies as soon as the 480 driver loads. which is new.

1 Like

And now you got your memory back to 2666mhz again?
Might be an unstable bios indeed if version 1.64 doesnt give you any bluescreens.

New 2.0 Stable UEFI is out now. Updated AGESA code for Ryzen 5 and Precision Boost clock adjustments (25Mhz) along with prior features are now in and working nicely.

Just an update

Today I powered on my system and lo and behold blue screen errors on every restart that where very indicative of a bad Overclock. This being for a system which has now run stable for weeks on the same overclock.

I tried tweaking and increasing some voltages a bit since I am running my OC as lean as possible for the lowest temperatures. Nothing helped, even increasing the VCore/SoC/RAM to the safe maximums.

But then somehow once I reset everything and loaded defaults. My same previous overclocks work just fine again.

3.8GHz @1.325VCore with Level 3 LLC. I have no idea why i witnessed such behavior, but resetting the UEFI to defaults and reconfiguring from there seems to be the magic trick here.

New 2.10 UEFI available for:

Notes:

• Improved system compatibility
  • New page allowing for Processor On-Die Termination and logging fail count.

Future:

• AGESA update coming in May to vastly improve Memory compatibility. (From an ASRock source)

You can use this page to keep an eye on the latest BIOS releases for ASRocks product line:

http://www.asrock.com/support/download.asp?cat=BIOS

How is this new bios doing?
Its kinda obvious that Ryzen really needs more time to mature.

It's working really well. Added new RAM timings adjustments and some stability patches for odd edge cases.

Can now set the BIOS post fail retry amount before reverting to fail safe defaults. Etc
Fancy new features will likely come with 2.30

1 Like

That sounds great.
Interesting to see what the 2.30 version will bring.

One would expect these companies in anticipation of the necessity for so many updates would have continued to ship their mainboards with Dual BIOS chips! But just like with GPU's last summer they all stopped in unison.
Is there a schedule that shows what ranges the LLC parameters do for the AsRock BIOS? My particular BIOS I believe is the same as the K4, as the Killer SLI/ac looks mostly like just a color variant with little differences.

Wenn it comes to LLC levels on the Taichi board.
I personally only concider level 4 or 5 to be really usable.
From what i have seen level 1, 2 and 3 allowed way too much over volting,
which shouldnt be nessesary.

Since the Gaming K4 basiclly uses the same pwm.
i suppose that you might see similar behavings with LLC levels with that board.

1 Like

I was surprised to find that XFR Boosts raise the voltage to over 1.45v at times.
Some have set the LLC to Auto with the OC and have been stable.

Has anyone tested the voltage on the board independently from what the BIOS/software is saying?

I can just see in a few months time AMD admitting that they offset it to report higher voltages, just like the temperatures :stuck_out_tongue:

Found a solution to the Asrock X370 p-state overclocking problem. It is linked to what CPU you have, I have the 1700 so the maximum voltage I can use is 1.1875 in as p-state 0 (the maximum voltage is the default voltage for p-state 0 for your CPU). So to increase the voltage, i just set the offset to 13125, which in-turn, allowed me to get voltage of 1.35v (for some reason it doesn't add exactly .1325v) and a clock speed of 3.85Ghz. I then set a p-state 1 to 3.65Ghz at 1.05v and p-state 2 to 3.4Ghz at .9125v. Cool'n'Quiet now works perfectly in windows.

i am curious... what is p state does this underclock the cpu when its not being used to reduice power? insted of having it run 100%? how does this effect the cpu? and when under load it ramps up to ur max oc?

when a cpu is under no load, the voltage will drop, allowing for less heat to be produced. Also a cpu can be damaged overtime with a high voltage and have shorter life span, so having it under clock when idle, it extends the life of the cpu.

so it be pointless for me to do it if i have a custom loop? kuz thats waht im doing...

with a high voltage, at any temperature, will decrease the cpu's lifespan

a pstate is a performance state, it is not a physical thing. a pstate is the frequency/voltage/multiplier settings that the CPU uses when it is under a specific load scenario - pstate0 is full load. The other pstates, that are set at lower performance levels are settings that the CPU uses in other scenarios like when it is idle etc. GPUs and Intel CPUs also have pstates and use them for power management as well.

Unlike Intel bioses, The Ryzen bios has just opened up the possibility to edit the settings for each state. Intel speedstep has them as well but there is no way to access them directly

Hi guys! First time poster, long time lurker. Thanks to this thread i got my p-state overclock working. Thank you! Didn't know why it won't go to p-state 0. I'm on a AsRock x370 Killer SLI 2.30 BIOS.
The goal was to bring my Ryzen's 1700 voltage down a bit. Didn't like the 1.37 Volts at XFR.
Current power states are:
P0 3.5 Ghz 1.1875V
P1 3.0 Ghz 0.9 V
P2 1.0 Ghz 0.6 V
All other settings default, except LLC for the Cpu and SOC witch are set to Level 1. Also voltage is set at Offset with it's setting on Auto. System is stable( also i was able to run it at 3.75Ghz at 1.2V).
Here comes the weird part:
Yesterday i opened the latest version of HWInfo and left it running in the background to see what the temp, voltages, frequencies are.
Aproaching midnight i opened the HWInfo window and saw max clockspeed for every core at 4.075GHz with 1.18V. Couldn't belive my eyes. Took a quick screenshot, and begun logging the sensors. I'll try it again this afternoon to see if the result will replicate.
What do you guys think? XFR kicking in?

1 Like