Ryzen Noob

So… New to AMD user here. My last AMD system was the Athlon 64 days. I am building a system for a friend and running into a few issues with this brand new build. I have a 3600x, ASUS C7H wifi and a Samsung 860 evo 1 TB m.2 drive. I updated to the 3004 using bios flashback without issue (all my Intel builds are ASUS boards). I am unable to get the m.2 drive to be recognized by the bios. It is installed in under the GPU just above PCI slot #1. I have scanned the bios and don’t see any sata/m.2 settings. The only thing I have seen that seems strange is under the sata section of the bios it gives you the option to rename the m.2 (grey) to any name. I don’t see any mention of only being able to use the “vertical” m.2 slot of sata any where in the manual.

My second question is in regards to ram settings/support. I have a 3600mhz g.skill kit from the QVL but I do not see anywhere in bios to select “XMP”. I see where I can manually select the frequency/timings individually of the ram. I assumed by getting a kit off the QVL it would be a set it and forget style setup. The actual end user of the PC is not very tech savy. So requiring modification/setting changes on a regular basis isn’t an option.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Samsung 860 EVO is SATA, don’t know if those M.2 slots support SATA or will only work with PCIe / NVME drives. Should be in the manual.

Look for DOCP. Same thing, different name.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am aware it is SATA. From what I have seen it appears to be supported but the manual is vague. Here is what the manual says…

edit found a better image.

@noenken you are correct. The slot under the “heatsink” does not support sata. Time for GPU removal and relocation of the ugly green PCB m.2 drive to be completely visable…

I have the same combo. You do want to use the M.2_1 slot anyways the other shares PCI lanes with the top (GPU) slot.
You can move the heat sink with the drive.

As for the ram settings it is here.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.