Ryzen Mobile APU Driver for Linux

Hey everyone. I apologize in advance if this has already been asked/answered.

I recently acquired a Thinkpad laptop with an R5-3500u processor and loaded it up with Fedora. All is well and hunky dory, but I can’t seem to find driver support for the integrated graphics. It works fine during normal office tasks, but in the instance that I want to fire it up and play something, it’s an abhorrent experience.

I contacted AMD and they said they don’t provide driver support for the 3500u.

Do anyone know of a workaround or way to optimize the performance of graphics? Thanks.

Wait hang on whcih one is it because theres a BIG difference.

3500U doesn’t have support yet, where 2500U does, but it could be doing weird driver bullshit \ driver blacklisting bullshit.

1 Like

Sorry, it’s the 3500u. Correcting that now.

1 Like

Just gotta wait tbh. Accelerated stuff like 3d won’t be final for like another month or so.

1 Like

Appreciate the heads up. Fingers crossed it’ll be sooner rather than later.

1 Like

Wow, I’m interested in buying a laptop with an AMD APU and hearing that an APU that has been out for a year is still not supported fully is a HUGE let down…

1 Like

There were issues with the 2K series, and they’re still not completely stable.

Honestly if its that much of a let down then run windows with WSL TBH.

1 Like

Have you checked your model under the Lenovo support page?
like here

1 Like

Yup, unfortunately no Linux support currently. We’ll see if/when it changes.

1 Like

How embarrasing to have not noticed that…

1 Like

I’ll survive somehow. Just a waiting game. I use it for work most of the time, so worse things have happened.

I guess it’s just waiting for a dev to get a device, and fix the drivers

1 Like

Oh wow, didn’t even think they wouldn’t have support for it by now :open_mouth:
Been looking at some good deals on some laptops with the 3500u, guess I’ll look again at a later time…

1 Like

@sdhill1990 Whats your experience with browsers and desktop apps visually? Also, do you use LibreOffice? Do you know if HSA is working?

1 Like

Honestly, other than just running a game everything is running really well. I’ve distro hopped from Ubuntu to Fedora on it and with standard workloads and video it works really well. The only reason I’m running into any issues is because I’m hoping to play Civr6 every once in a while.

Overall, very good experience.

1 Like

Sorry, to more specifically answer your quetsion. Libreoffice works very well, however I can’t really speak to HSA.

1 Like

LibreOffice can directly use AMD APU’s through HSA to speed up calculations. I’m probably going to get this laptop or a similar model in a couple weeks so I’ll report back with performance and some Python scripts

Great to know, I’ve been on Fedora since Fedora 22.

If you try the latest kernel and mesa the support should be there already.