Ryzen compact illustration station build and GPU?

My ThinkPad t410 i5 died a slow and painful death. I will no longer perform necromancy on this ThinkPad. I was using the ThinkPad as a desktop and had it docked at all times so I decided to build a compact Ryzen desktop. This will be a dual boot Linux/Windows system that is used for work. It will be running Clip Studio and Autodesk Sketchbook in Windows 10. It will be running Krita and some word processing in a Linux distro (Solus or Fedora).
I have my old peripherals and will upgrade them as needed.
I am looking at $1000 as the budget. I’m in the US and will be using the US dollar. I was not planning on overclocking or water-cooling. I have all software and operating systems covered so they are not included in the budget.
Parts include: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming Mini ITX, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4-3600,500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Platinum SFX.
Willing to change parts as needed. I want to go with AMD and I won’t do MSI parts at all after warranty problems in the past.
I want to go with a Louqe Ghost s1 because of aesthetics and lack of space on my desk. I am willing to change cases if needed.
I don’t know if I should use a workstation graphics card or a gaming graphics card. I only have experience with laptops and APU desktops. I won’t be doing animation or gaming. I will be digitally painting or inking & coloring scanned hand-drawn illustrations. The Illustrations are sized A4 and a few being B4. I may have to change to B4 in the future. Also, I have been using the 300dpi but may have to change to 600dpi in the future. I don’t know if that info helps.

*Last: I have thought about doing an Asrock DeskMini A300 with an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G and 16gb(or more) of ram. I don’t know if Ryzen 5 3400g will run the drawing software I use well?
Has anyone used one for Clip Studio and or Autodesk Sketchbook? If I went that route I could use the money saved toward a touch monitor for drawing.

If you want to draw on a screen, possibly even for a living, take a good look at the new iPad pro. As far as I’ve heard it is amazing for that.

If you want to go forward with the PC, get the Ryzen 5 3600 instead. The performance jump from ZEN+ to ZEN2 is quite drastic, especially in bursts. And the 3600 MHz DDR4 probably wouldn’t even run on the 2600. ITX boards are a good chunk more expensive, if it doesn’t have to be a tiny build, look at M-ATX and ATX options. A bigger case would also give you more room for cooling, which might be quieter in the end. Same goes for full size PSU instead of SFX.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about a compact build because my desk space is limited. I am a year out from getting studio space at the time. But, at that time I could set up a second desk. I have looked a the Ipad but it’s not my thing. I pick up a surface pro 4 to tide me over. It’s ok…just ok.
I am scratching my list and looking at the Ryzen 5 3600 like you suggested and the Tthreadripper 1920. If I build a tower I might make it a big. I’m going to read up on them both.
Any suggestions on a workstation graphics card or/vs a gaming graphics card?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.