Ryzen - Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 Review + Linux Test | Level One Techs

Might also be an issue in my kernel-config / userspace problem.

alsamixer -c 1
ALSA lib /var/tmp/paludis/media-libs-alsa-lib-1.1.2/work/alsa-lib-1.1.2/src/mixer/simple_none.c:1550:(simple_add1) helem (MIXER,'Master Playback Switch',0,1,0) appears twice or more
cannot load mixer controls: Invalid argument

Edit1:
This seems to be the main problem

snd_hda_intel 0000:12:00.3: control 2:0:0:Master Playback Volume:0 is already present

Edit2:
Sound works, but no alsamixer !

Edit3:
The bug is in the fact that are 2 controls with the same name, alsactrl store will show this in the statefile. But alsamixer cannot work with this. (This is probably why this is warned about in the kernel.)

Edit4:
You might need to run to prevent buffer under runs when running at 192KHZ and S32_LE.

find /proc/asound/ -name "prealloc" -exec sh -c "echo 4096 > {}" \;

(As well as configure dmix if you are still rocking pure ALSA.)

1 Like

For those who need to increase/decrease the volume a bit you can download http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/HDA_Analyzer.

Then go got card-X -> codec-0 -> Node[0x02] AUD_OUT and change Val[0] and Val[1] first slider.
You can also use 0x03 and 0x04 for Surround and Center playback settings.

1 Like

Curious problem: the motherboard crashed:
- Linux on login screen
- BIOS was reset
- USB peripheral where no-longer working in BIOS.
- To fix USB-in Bios, had to power down the PC.

Edit: cause of crash seems to be to read and set sensor data with lm_sensors/pwm/sensors/speedfan/...

Untested potential bug: hibernate/suspend/resume: (unconfirmed tested this once).
I got the BIOS in a state I had to disconnect the battery and PSU to power on the PC again.

Windows has that bug. C6 sleep is buggy as heck rn.

Posting this here since I don't want to spam the Tomahawk Thread with this (https://forum.level1techs.com/t/msi-b350-tomahawk-review-linux-test-level-one-techs/115024/96)

Do the Gaming 5, K5 and K7 use the same VRMs? I know the K5 has less, but the K7 looks like the exact same board with a black shroud (and apparently external BClock if I read this right).

Also, having no clue about VRMs at all...

what does "interesting" mean in this case?

Looks like the same vrm to me yes.
Interesting in the sense that they didnt use doubling on the main vcore,
and choosed for very high components on those IR powerstages.

Alright, mh... cause I'm still undecided on which board to take :confused:

I think the Gaming 5 white shroud would fit very well in the Define S I got laying around, but completely black would highlight the (imo) very nice LED positions more... mh, then again the K7 costs 30€ more...

And the K5 isn't all that different (except the VRMs), it's just missing the U.2 (which I won't be using anyway) and the Diagnostic LED (which granted could come in very handy, but ruin the RGB LED since they are always red... gotta get some tape ready).

Well is Aorus the only brand you look at?
Or are you also looking at other option?

Asrock X370 Taichi or Asus X370 Crosshair Vi Hero are also great boards.

Asrock Taichi and Professional gaming have the best vrm implementations,
that i have seen on any X370 board.

The Taichi is like 260€ here (against the ~200 for the Gaming 5). The C6H is ~240€. Also the Gaming 5/K7 (not sure about the K5, need to look into that) is the only board I found that had thermal sensor headers (I was going to watercool and maybe go fan-curve by water temperature). I liked the asthetics of the Aorus boards too, the Taichi is nice, but the LED placement is very weird, would probably end up not being used (kinda wasted in a Define S). As a bonus (not actually important), the Aorus have RGBW Headers, not just RGB :slight_smile:

Generally speaking, yes I was looking at the other brands too, but those prices here... :frowning:

I livei n the Euro zone aswell, so i feel the pain haha.
But those Aorus boards are pretty good from what i have seen.
The bios can be a bit wonky, but thats allways something you should update firstly.

Not actually suprising with a new platform, which is why I don't get why so many people get mad about the "bad" UEFIs :stuck_out_tongue:

Also gotta be honest, I'm somewhat drawn to Gigabyte, my own PC is running a 990FXA-UD3 for... idk 6 years now? GFs PC is a GB board as well (Intel though), had GB graphics cards, various friends used GB all over and noone ever had issues. Well technically I had with my board, but that was due to a REALLY bad case with just 1 exhaust fan (no intake)... Those were the days, I had no idea what a decent case could do for temperatures...

Should be a fine choice i think.

And yeah that particular am3+ board had some vrm heat issues..
But yeah the FX8 core chips did consume allot of power once overclocked.
But Gigabyte did adress the issue with Revsion 3 or 4 of that board back in the day.

Well yeah, I still have a 1090T in there, and I'm not sure what happened to the board, but one day it just started beeping like crazy, and even now when I put load on the system, after a while it starts beeping when one of the temp sensors reaches 80°C... I have no idea what it is, but I do suspect it's one of the VRMs...

Regarding the Taichi by the way, what would drive me crazy about it is this:

Those damn cogs don't fit at all... not sure who designed this graphic, but frankly it's just awful. Would drive me crazy looking at it lol (even though I like the aesthetics otherwise).

Yeah if something like that botters you,
then the Taichi is not the board for you i guess.
Then the Aorus X370 Gaming K7 is probablly a better choice for you.
Since the Asrock X370 professional gaming is more expensive and black + red design, which you might either like or hate.
The Asus Crosshair Vi hero might also be a board to concider depending on the pricing,
But if you are looking for black / white design and you dont like the Taichi.
Then currentlly the Aorus Gaming K7 or 5 eventually is the only decent alternative.

Yeah, Red doesn't really fit anything in my system... and with colored boards I always wonder why they go with RGB Lighting... if you're going RGB Lighting at least have a neutral PCB...

The C6H just needs to drop a little in price to be really considered.

I like the Taichi, but that print is just really dumb... (also the print on the PCH Block is off a couple degrees, the rounding doesn't match up with the PCB print), I just don't understand who designs this. To be honest I didn't really notice until now, but what has been seen cannot be unseen :frowning:

Ah well, it's still a little while until I buy that stuff so who know, maybe something else comes along until then.

Well yeah i´m very dissapointing in the lack of higherend X370 boards from fendors really.
I mean where is Asus? i was expecting a Asus X370 Deluxe atleast.
Maybe we gonne see more boards from Asus and Aorus soon.

To be fair It's not been that long yet, a lot of the mATX boards are also only coming out now, and I think there are no ITX boards as of yet at all (with the B300/X300 Chipsets or however they were called). I suspect more will follow.

Yes there definitelly will be.

Just looked into the manual, for anyone interested, the K5 does not feature temperature sensor inputs. Anyone who needs this needs to stick to the 5 or K7 (both have 2 headers each).