Ryzen - Aorus AX370 Gaming 5 Review + Linux Test | Level One Techs

No, just the UEFI from the retail version of this board at microcenter was the initial release, which you for sure want to update right away.

A friend built a system with this and a 1700 and it went all according to plan, nothing weird with the socket on their board or mine. I haven't tested the very newest bios yet on mine yet though.

(My friend dual boots, mostly uses Windows, some Linux for work, but not much, mostly windows )

1 Like

Well yeah Gigabyte´s UEFI´s on new boards are allways kinda wonky.
But Gigabyte is kinda working hard to fix bugs and niggles.
So yeah allways update the uefi of the board wenn you buy one.

1 Like

I will definitely be switching to AMD if the IOMMU issues get fixed. Only thing about upgrading's that I wouldn't be doing so for ~3 years so it all depends on what happens; hoping AM4 is still relevant by then. It wil also be interesting to see what intel will do with how AMD placed Ryzen 5 in the market.

Anyways, this board looks solid in every other area but I'd like to see other options before making a conclusion. Will wait for those in-depth reviews, Wendell ;)

Let's see who breaks the ice on this topic first. Hoping for AMD to continue the trend with Vega so that my next machine for gaming can run entirely on Linux.

Can't find it atm: is this board able to tune the p-states ?

omg, it's so hard to find any recommendation of x370 mobo considering iommu usage.
I know it's early and bioses updates are looking like beta testing.
There are many sites where people are talking about ryzen's iommu (today ie i found this one: https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/55150-anybody-planning-a-ryzen-build/) but it's really hard to find that "one" mobo. It's a buyers hell. Hell, there's not even single big review of available x370s which will compare most basic things like ram compatibility.
ATM i only know one mobo worth attention in case of iommu - it's asus prime x370 - only because sarnex has some good experience with it. But I'm not sure about asus itself because I was hearing bad words about them and their linux/iommu support, I'm not sure if they changed it. Also I was planning to buy something better equipped like crosshair 6 hero. Because I've heard some good words about Gigabyte's iommu/linux overall support, I thought about buying this one, but now after not so good words from Wendell and pretty bad ram support (problems with getting 3000mhz, but heard about a guy who did achieved 3200@1,45V on this aorus) I'm not sure...
And because of this whole CCX architecture ram frequency could be pretty important in case of performance, I'm aiming at ddr4 3200 ram.
@wendell can you tell which vendors replied to your iommu question? Can you tell which x370 mobo would you choose? :)
ATM mainly ASUS is available here in Poland, and I was thinking about c6h because of am3 holes which will fit my kraken x61 (btw nzxt delayed am4 brackets sending, theres no ETA), but again heard not good (archive tho) words about asus linux support.

This board seems really good even if there are issues with the iommu currently, and as I took a look at the specs page on gigabytes website, it seems it even supports ECC.
If the iommu groupings weren't an issue, this would be the board for me.

I should have the Asus board next week if it's back in stock so we'll see. Right now the GB and ASrock boards are the same, and workable if you mix gpus

3 Likes

Yeah that is still a thing that sounds really weird to me.
I mean if you mix gpu´s like Nvidia + AMD gpu´s it seem to sorta kinda work.
But with 2 AMD gpu´s there seem to some kind of an initialization problem or what not.
I´m currious if you would encourter a similar issue if you use 2 Nvidia cards.
Just to determine that there might be some initialization or recognization issue in the iommu groupings or what not.

Ok, thanks for all your work wendell, will wait patiently for the asus review.
@wendell: another question and maybe a request: did you check headless iommu system? I mean host with only one gpu attached to vm? If not - can you check such config?

Good question, that wasn't mentioned at all.

@wendell, since you played around with that on the Taichi, did you look into that on this board? Having the CPU run fullspeed 24/7 is kind of a bummer :/

Edit:
Also, what about headphones? In the z270 gaming 5 you mentioned the built-in amp, anything of the sort on this one? Couldn't really find anything except that "magic" auto detection for impedence, but not how much it can drive without issue.

I have a rather short question regarding the dual network adapters. Do they support LACP teaming?
I know they are two different controllers, but in the past I found drivers for PCIe NICs supporting LACP that allowed me to add other NICs to the team (unfortunately, the only other NIC in that computer was a built-in Broadcom adapter that didn't support LACP, so I couldn't test it).

Well, the gigabyte website states that teaming is not supported. If you're lucky it might work, but not officially.

Linux or Windows ? In Linux you can just do this in software, don't know about Windows.

Thanks for not "LMGTFY-ing" me, I could have tried checking with them first :P That makes it far less interesting to me.

@Qantourisc: both. I'm guessing Gygabyte's own statement applies to Windows. Is it always possible to do this in Linux regardless of manufacturer's drivers?

I have had not much luck with this, but you can use the x4 slot with a high-end nic that does support lacp tho

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, I do that in my current setup (an attempt at a home cluster of sorts). It's just that, if I'm going to use a PCIe NIC, I don't care much for dual vs single on board NICs (I guess there will be other use cases that take advantage of it).

smb multichannel works well enough as of the latest version on linux--its making its way down to distros-- and that works with mismatched nics without any special needs on the switch.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at that!

I'm starting to build a list of parts for a Ryzen build and am doing research on these memory errors and incompatibilities with the AM4 CPUs and MBs. One thing I came across was that AMD recommends single rank dual channel RAM, that uses Samsung B-Die IC. I'm considering purchasing the Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5, with a Ryzen 1700. And want to get G. Skill TridentZ RGB series memory. There are two part numbers that G.Skill has for this type of RAM however, they are:

• F4-3200C16D-16GTZR which LegitReviews has stated was recommended by AMD in their tech reviews.
    &
  • F4-3200C14D-16GTZR which is being reported as the correct one to get by other end users.

I've done some checking and could not find out which one had the qualifications of being single rank, and using the Samsung BDie IC. Anyone else have information that could help me make a decision?

Update: Looks like the 14 and the 16 in the part numbers are related to CAS latency. Both models of memory are the same otherwise.

One of the compatibility lists stated whether the sticks are single or dual rank, think it was the one from gigabyte actually