Ryzen 9 7950x does not show temperature in Linux

Hey there,

I got a new Ryzen 9 7950x and I love it so far, except for the fact that I can not read it’s temperature in Linux.

I have tried lm-sensors, and even after trying to detect all the sensors, I couldn’t find any that would tell me the CPU temp.

I made sure to be on the latest version of lm-sensors, I am on Linux 6.0.2, I have the newest UEFI version as well as AMD μcode and still nothing.

I thought it might be that the CPU is too new and that there is no support for it, but thats also not it, as one of my friends, with the exact same OS, kernel version, lm sensors version and exact same CPU, can see the temps.

The only difference between our builds is that he has an Asus x670e motherboard and I have the Gigabyte Aorus Master x670e.

Any tips on what else I could try?

Different motherboards use different ICs for handling sensor data. Yours is probably just not supported yet.

Any way to check what mine is? I found a post online suggesting to use this module: it87

Tried it out but it doesent work

If you are referring to the motherboard sensors, you are out of luck. it87 kernel module is as is and ancient, and the out of tree version incomplete. You just won’t get reliable sensor readouts unless you are lucky enough that someone with your exact same board has done the work necessary to include support, or you do it yourself.

If you mean the sensors on the CPU, then the situation is a bit better but still not ideal. The k10temp kernel driver will give you basic readings. The CPU is probably too new that support is not included yet. Alternatively you can try zenpower3 which has much better support for Ryzen chips, but given that it hasn’t really been updated in a bit it probably won’t work either.

Can you post your friend’s readout from the sensors command? What sensor is giving out the CPU temperature?

1 Like

Hey welcome to the forums!

Are there any mobo firmware/BIOS updates you can apply?

I am working with the owner of an it87 fork right now to try to get support for this motherboard working. I managed to force load an 8689 module and most of the readings are wrong, but among them I can see the 95C reading when my cpu is under full load, so that one is right!

Hopefully we can get full support for this.

I am on the latest patch of my UEFI :slight_smile:

Yes, zenpower3, which was itself a fork of the unmaintained zenpower module. I use both modules across a variety of Zen 2 and Zen 3 systems. Someone will hopefully come along and fork a Zen 4 version.

Do you still have to use acpi_enforce_resources=lax as a kernel parameter? Last time I tried to get all sensors working was on a gaming k7 (X370) board and I had to use that. Unfortunately that option interfered with my board’s fan control so I had to stop using it.

Sadly, yes I do

For cpu temps, it need k10-temp which is mb independant. Did you check if it loads?

For mb temps, as others have pointed out, it depends on your ec chip, either ite or nuvoton. And you should look for respective kernel modules.

I went back an forth with the dev of frankcrawford/it87 on github and now I get my temperature without k10-temp. theres a branch which works for my motherboard there now

That’s good news, but for me as long as the ACPI resource conflicts are still there it just won’t be viable.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.