Ryzen 7 1800x crashes during 3D render, 3DsMax @ Corona Render

Hi there,
I recently build a new Ryzen 7 system for my photo/video editing and 3D rendering.
My system work now on optimized default settings. No OC on CPU or RAM. The machine is so much quicker that my old fx8350.
Unfortunately, the default voltage on CPU seams high.It shows 1.43-1.46V, sometimes even jumps to 1.5V for a sec.
That's why I did set custom 1.35V, I did the torture test prime 95 ( the lastest Ryzen friendly version ) for 12 hours and it seams ok. I did all day of editing in Photoshop and rendering 4 x1hour video on premiere CC. One of the videos crashed, but it was my fault.
The question is: what should I do to keep lower voltage and be stable? My final renders take 2-3 days.
Or maybe I should not care, and keep everything on default settings. I would love to OC in the future, specially RAM ( it runs on standard 2133, my ram sticks should go up to 3200 )
I want my PC to last me 3-4 years and need it stable for my long renders.
Please advise, or send me some links how to properly set the BIOS.
I appreciate your help!
All the best!

Although I have a R7 1700 and got less boosts and therefore less voltage increase at stock, my understanding is that the stock 1800X 100Mhz XFR Boosts can bump the voltage above 1.450 which is normal under a stress test. Manually setting voltage will disable XFR but 1.35v may not be enough to maintain stability under All Core Boosts.

2 Likes

Thank you for a quick answer.
Hmm so XFR function makes V core fluctuate like that? The Voltage value I read from Bios. What would be the best software to monitor V core during normal use/rendering? It just strange that torture test was fine, where rendering wasn't.

At certain points during a render, due to the specifics of how rendering works, not all cores are at 100%, but some will be at lower utilization.

Modern processors tend to boost certain cores very high whenever they are given the opportunity to, like during those periods of lower than 100% utilization, but Prime95 tends to flatten the clock speeds of all of the cores, thus not testing boost clocks.

To test boost clock stability, test lightly threaded apps like games and also Super PI. For monitoring, CPU-Z is okay but I would recommend Core Temp since Core-Temp shows per-core clock speeds so you can see the boosting/flatting in real-time.

1 Like

I'm thinking this.

1.450 feels like a dangerous voltage to me (personally), but If you're not keeping the CPU for more than 4 years, I wouldn't be concerned.

1 Like

These upper voltage limits are an automatic function of the stock CPU boost, and is deemed to be safe by AMD if the chip is adequately cooled.

1 Like

Okay. I remember back on the FX chips, 1.450 had a degredation rate that I wasn't happy with. Just kinda applied it to Zen like an uninformed idiot.

1 Like

Thank you so much for a great tips. I will test single threads as you suggested.

Would you suggest watercooling? I'm using master air 4, wchich is newer version of hyper 212 evo. The temps are never above 62C during rendering. Temps read from Ryzen Master software. In Bios temps are 20C higher, which I know it's an offset. It's a pain in the a$&, because there is no way to keep the fan speeds lower than 100% if the temp reported is above 70C - which in reality is 50C

It's ok:) I'm also confused.. there is a lot of colliding info on the web and most of it wasn't updated since March-April. The platform is much ore mature now, but no clear info /help how to set it up as a workstation.

If your current cooling solution wasn't already adequate, XFR Boost simply would not activate as it's the CPU that monitors and decides this. You can still manually set your CPU fan curve or static RPM, but the temps you reported are fine so no need to do so.

I hope you find this article useful:

1 Like

Thank you very much! It seams that for my use default settings are the best. Lowering voltages or even overclocking is not very beneficial on 1800x it can just cause more problems.. reading the article I understood that clicking RAM could be very beneficial. Right now I'm set on default 2133Mhz, yet I have 3200Mhz sticks. Do you know where could I find good manual for OCing RAM?

If your DRAM is rated for 3200 you can click this profile in the BIOS and it should work if your make/model is on the mainboard's QVL. Your kit may go higher if you try.

1 Like