Ryzen 5700X/5900 Max temp before Turbo (PBO2) throttle?

Heya,
Please feel free to point me to a prev thread if this’ been asked…

I’m not particularly worried about 90°+ temps as they’ve been deemed “safe” by AMD, but don’t want to leave any perf on the table by triggering turbo throttle sooner than max allowable.

Planning a new SFF build with power efficient 65W TDP CPUs, so temps and power efficiency are high priority, but I’m not looking to go deaf either. That said, high temps are going to be a reality in a sub-10L build, so I’m willing to accept high (safe) temps, without unnecessarily sacrificing perf just to allow the fans to spin slower.

Does anyone know of AMD/PBO2 “soft throttle” temp thresholds where they cut boost speeds pre-90-95°?

If not, I’ll dial in my fans for room sound floor, only increasing when temps approach throttle.

Soft throttle is all the way down to sub 0 depending on max boost and workload.
It gets a bit more notable from around 73-75C and up though.

1 Like

I don’t have a sffpc. Mine belongs to mffpc. But I’m happy to see someone who share my thought :slight_smile:

Ryzens are safe <= 95C (heck, it’s probably safe as long as <= 105C). But I’m not so sure about AMD’s throttling algorithm. I very much doubt that they only start throttling when it’s very close to 95C (the TjMax).

I encourage you to try and run some benchmark to determine if it’s noticeable or acceptable to you. For me, I set fans to ramp up only when CPU temp >=80C. So far I’m happy with performance from light to heavy workloads.

Apple has been doing so for a long time on their computers. They ramp up fans very very late for Intel processors, and again keep the same practice for their ARM SoCs. We aren’t rare species though may sound so in the PC world.

Thanks for the thoughts.

As yet, I’m still humming along on my ancient dual E5-2667v2’s (still SFF!), waiting on AM5 to drop before scooping up deals on AM4 components.

I’m sure that AM5 will be great, but for at least the next year, 65W TDP AM4 will likely be the most efficient/only game in town. Additionally, I’m not yet convinced of the immediate benefits of DDR5 on current workloads, especially at the price…

I say this, while enjoying 128GB of ECC DDR3 memory on a dual socket 8c/16t system…

But wanted to gather info before picking up the hardware this fall.
:+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.