Ryzen 5000 BIOS Update on b350, Remove Ryzen 2000 Support?

Hey guys, I’ve just purchased a 5600 and currently have a 2600x in an Asus ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING motherboard that has received a beta bios to support the ryzen 5000 CPU’s. Just wondering if you’s know if this bios update removed support for ryzen 2000 or not. If it did would i update the bios with the 2600x in it and after it reboots would it fail to boot then i would put in the 5600 to boot into the bios then windows? Thanks

The BIOS is of a fixed size. Older cpu support gets overwritten, with these updates
Considering how many Zen2/3 chips are now in circulation, Zen / Zen+ will be scrubbed

1 Like

Check your board’s manufacturers website. It should say what a particular BIOS revision supports or changes. Some CPU families are eventually dropped as they enable support for newer chips. BUT, sometimes they won’t tell you, like GB and their X370 boards (particularly the Gaming K7). No where does it say that first gen Ryzen is unsupported on newer BIOS revisions. I now have a board with a BIOS too new to support my old 1700, but too old to support 5xxx chips. Go figure.

1 Like

That’s rough, I also have an X370 but its a (gigabyte) gaming 5, i should probably check the BIOS support versions/history and make sure I don’t get screwed. I’m running a 2700 but I’m eye balling the 5900x (which is supported but not sure how many CPUs get the chopping block by upgrading to the latest BIOS). Good call on that.

1 Like

Just be careful putting the literal highest end highest power chip into an original x370.

I dont know the board so it could be okay but thats a hell of a jump, that the board engineers may not have known would be in a thing a few years.

I don’t think the cpu support list has been updated for the beta bios yet. The motherboard i have was featured running the 5800x3d on a hardware unboxed video recently.

1 Like

Assuming suooort is there, yeah yours is fine in that board, just the guy above was think of goong all the way to 5900X on x370. Not impossible just would be worth making sure an older board can support a 16 core 32 thread cpu.

The 5600 is just fine.

Below is a link to the official Asus press release on the AGESA 1.2.0.7 update that adds Ryzen 5000 support.

In the comments sections the Asus spokesperson specifically states that “No CPU support is removed” with this update.

Thank you

Got it installed and games running alot smoother, next upgrade will be a new gpu probably next year.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.