Ryzen 5 3600 Temps

I am assembling a new computer and am having some temperature issues. My 3600 is running at almost 90c at 30% load and drawing ~40 watts according to Ryzen Master. If I run the machine at full load it thermal shuts down. I have tried 2 stock HSF with fresh thermal paste (my roommate also built a new computer). I am thinking there may be an issue with the integrated heat spreader and thermal interface inside but want to do sufficient testing and idiot checks before I look into doing a return. Any ideas on what to try?

Ryzen 5 3600 (1800 infinity fabric)
ASUS TUF Gaming x570 Plus
Ripjaw V F4-3600C16D-32GVKC @ 3600

voltage look cool? you could just be creating heat and nothing else but thats weird af

not to be rude but is the fan plugged in also?

First you need to make sure that the OS and support drivers are fully updated. Second you need to make sure you update amd specific drivers. Thirdly, update bios/uefi . Should snap out of it unless there is an existing hardware issue or poor case/airflow config.

It was pretty common to see that temp on bone stock/ not fully updated machines.

Windows update

Amd driver support site

Motherboard manufacturer

I suspect since you have ryzen master that it needs a bios update. Still ? Make sure the entire chain is fully updated.

Updating the bios is the first thing i would do.
If not done yet already.
Core voltage might be too high, i believe this has been a bug,
with early stage x570 bioses from Asus.

Thanks everyone for the info. I have the most recent bios from ASUS 2407 (7/20) but did go and install the hosted AMD chipset drivers on the ASUS website.

The core voltage read from the BIOS and ASUS AI software is ~1.34, though AMD Master shows 1.1. I have made no changes to the voltages on the board.

The stock fan is spinning at just under 2k rpm and I did make a minor change to the fan profile and that helped just a bit but it’s still on the edge of unuseable. It doesn’t hurt my feelings to ask if it’s plugged in, i had to check to make sure it wasn’t jammed or something. Honestly, this little cooler is under an inch thick of aluminum with no copper slug or anything so it might just be that. I have now read in other places people saying they were running at 75c out of the box and I do have an infinity fabric oc on it that may be to blame but have not yet backed off.

Are you certain you’re getting good contact? What does the thermal compound look like when you pull the cooler off?

1 Like

Sounds about right.

I think i’m kinda also leaning towards bad contact between cooler,
and cpu heat spreader.

Which thermal paste did you use?

I have about 90% coverage (missing a small corner) from my initial bead of paste. I habve used the stock coolers with their factory applied paste and am currently using Thermal Grizzly paste. I also did a stock reset to the bios so everything is on auto and no changes to thermals. I am looking for the AMD parts to my Hyper 212 Evo cooler to try that.

Is it actually new? If so, Sounds like an RMA to me.

It was sealed in box from NewEgg, shipped directly from them.

Heh, yeah. I have an Asus x570 board for my 3900X and it was definitely running too hot on the first BIOS.

However, the XMP / DOCP RAM overclock worked with the first BIOS and none of the later ones did. So that extra voltage was good for something.

If you do update the BIOS and have problems with RAM you’ll have to do some manual tweaking. Be sure to test your RAM overclock after a BIOS update because things like voltage settings are going to change.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.