Ryzen 5 2400GE 4 DIMM problem

Hi,
I am just building a cheaper Gaming-PC for a friend. I am using my old NAS CPU, a Ryzen 5 2400GE on a MSI B450-A Pro MAX Motherboard. From another friend I bought 4 Sticks (2 Kits) of G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 CL19-20-20-40 RAM, so a total of 32GB (4x8). I know that the speed is more than needed for now, but this leaves room for a future CPU upgrade. Why 32GB? I just got this for 10€ more than a DDR4-3200 16GB Kit anywhere else, so I thought why not.

The problem I am having is the following: With just 2 sticks installed I can get it to work up to 3200 without having errors in Memtest, I can even boot the system up to 3466 but Memtest spews errors almost immediately at anything above 3200. As soon as I install the second kit I can’t get it to run at anything above 2133 and it only passes Memtest at 1866. Do I just have a CPU with a subpar Memorycontroller or is this normal for 2000-Series APUs? I did test the RAM on a Ryzen 7 1700X on a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max II and it runs without a problem at 2933 with all 4 DIMMs even over a span of eight hours in Memtest. That CPU, even with just 2 DIMMs refuses to go above 2933, which seems to be kind of the norm for first Gen Ryzen.
Is there anything I can do to make the 2400GE work with those 4 DIMMS at 2933+ or am I just better off to sell the RAM (at least one KIt) and maybe get a 2x16GB Kit?

Thanks in advance

This is normal. If you run with two DIMMs per channel, load on the memory controller is very high, resulting in lower clock speeds. Your board is basically only two slots if you value clock speeds.
Always buy the biggest capacity DIMM and stick to the two slots. 2DPC is a desperate measure if you really need the capacity.

The intensity differs between different architectures, some are more affected than others, but 2DPC problem is normal. Silicon lottery may also lead to underperforming memory controllers. It’s a mess really, so don’t use it if you can avoid it :slight_smile:

AMD specs usually have a table which is often also listed in your board manual. This is usually what you can expect as a lower floor on clock speeds.

OK, I had thought that it was the total number of memory ranks that mattered and not the amount of DIMMs. I had run the CPU with G.Skill DDR4-3200 Aegis 2x16 CL16-18-18-38 in my NAS. Those DIMMs are dual rank and the Ripjaws are single rank for a total of 4 ranks each. Guess this works differently than I thought.

Thanks for your fast reply. I guess I am going to ask him if he wants to have 16GB of RAM for now and I sell one of the kits or if he wants to have 32GB and we get a 2x16 Kit and sell what I currently have.

No, you are correct. Dual rank DIMMs are also harder on the memory controller. But using 2DPC is much worse. That’s why you see that big thread with 128GB being a problem. Your fancy DDR5 6000 kit may just run at 3600MT/s with 4 DIMMs. It’s both dual rank and 2DPC. Worst case.

My server has 128GB 4xDR 32GB DIMMs and I can only run it with 2666 instead of 3200. But that’s not much of a problem as my homeserver doesn’t really care about memory bandwidth.

So make sure you buy higher capacities, because you can’t expand without sacrificing clock speed or do a full replacement.

Buying 1x32GB is the best for upgrading later, but with only using one channel, you cut bandwidth in half. So that’s usually not an option either.

I don’t think he will need more than 32GB while he has this PC. With some luck I can sell the current RAM and get a 2x16 Kit for the same price.

Thanks for the reply.

its a 2400 so will top out at 2933 dual channel. (2 dims per channel)
if you want to run 4 sticks, you will have to run the ram at 2933 or lower.
you may have to drop as low as 2400 to get all 4 sticks working… it will depend on your bios and agesa

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.