Ryzen 4000 laptop slow nvme speeds on battery

hey all. so i have a ryzen 4000 laptop. (eluktronics THINN-15) i have a wd sn750 1tb NVME drive and while the laptop is plugged in i get full SSD read and write speeds. 3400 read 3000 write but when i run on battery, ssd speeds only hit 1800 read/write max

also noticed that network speeds are effected in the same way but only when i use a VPN (PIA) without VPN no issues but with vpn enabled i only get 80mbps down speed max on battery but plugged in i get 400mbps

i have a feeling that this has something to do with some sort of PCI power savings. i looked for and disabled all power saving settings that i can but no changes.

i did some googleing and saw a few posts on reddit with people with ryzen laptops having the same issue with the SSD speeds.

when i use HWinfo64 it shows the nvme drive link speed while on battery only at 5.0 GT/s vs 8.0 GT/s

how can i go about disabling this while under battery so i can have full drive speeds as well as hopfully network speeds while using my VPN

thanks

Guessing you’ve already gone into Edit Power Plan → Change advanced power settings → PCI Expres → Link State Power Management and turned it off?

Yup first thing I did and no change :frowning:

I’m hoping this is not an bios level issue and that I’m stuck with this

Check on Linux live USB to quickly see is it bios or is it system problem.

It could be power states on the NVMe drive instead of the PCIe bus speed.

One of my Samsung 970s reports this from smartctl in Linux:

Supported Power States
St Op     Max   Active     Idle   RL RT WL WT  Ent_Lat  Ex_Lat
 0 +     6.20W       -        -    0  0  0  0        0       0
 1 +     4.30W       -        -    1  1  1  1        0       0
 2 +     2.10W       -        -    2  2  2  2        0       0
 3 -   0.0400W       -        -    3  3  3  3      210    1200
 4 -   0.0050W       -        -    4  4  4  4     2000    8000

You can see States 0, 1 and 2 exist and have lower and lower power usage. Then 3 and 4 are basically standby states.

even if it is the power states of the drive, something is telling the drive to use that power state while in battery mode but not when plugged in.

i thought i disabled all drive and os power saving features while on battery and still is an issue. (same with the network speeds while using a vpn)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.