Ryzen 3900x Temps

I just built out a new PC and using the stock fan for the 3900x. Idle is between 45C-55C. When gaming it’s about 70C. When I ran Blender on a large render it was running hot at 92.

I’m going to put in a liquid cooling in.

I realize temps are a very loose - but was curious what other folks temp ranges were so I don’t go full OCD on temps.

1 Like

I just replaced 2700X with the new 3900X. I have been cracking numbers for BOINC WCG 24x7x365 and my temps have been roughly the same with both chips.

Depending on the ambient room temp, my CPU temps range from 61 C to 69 C.

I am using a plain stock Corsair 240mm H100 all-in-one cooler.

There’s already many threads mentioning temps.

1 Like

92 degrees C is normal for running flat out on a 3900X, as I’ve seen that figure given, or something close to that, in a couple of published reviews of the chip, so your system is not unusual.
When the 3950X was officially announced, the fact that it didn’t have a stock cooler, but people were instead recommended to use an AIO with a 280mm radiator with it kind of scared me, so I was reading up on cooling to decide what I should do with my 3900X to improve its cooling - since that made me suspect an improvement might be needed.
One thing I learned is that even running above 60 degrees C slightly shortens the life of a CPU, and higher temps shorten it more.
I looked around for fancier cooling options. It seemed they would improve things, but not as much as I wanted. Eventually, I found out about something more exotic - thermoelectric coolers. But the most recent one I found turned out to have been discontinued before Ryzen, so there’s no AM4 mounting hardware for it, and it was only slightly better than a good air cooler.
I think what I will do is use the Ryzen Master software to put the chip in Eco Mode. I won’t lose much performance that way. And later on, put a Noctua NH-D15 on the chip as well. Then even running flat out, it shouldn’t get too hot.

1 Like

For a stock cooler, that doesnt suprise me!

Stock coolers are, and have always been garbage IMHO, doesnt matter if the cooler has fancy LED lights, its still a cheap boxed cooler.

But if all you do is gaming, 70c is nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

Edit: my 3700x @ 4.5ghz, 1.39v core is hovering around 46\50c during gaming, full custom loop, 360mm rad

you learned? thats just made up stuff!

1 Like

Couple notes and thank you for the feedback (except for homie who chatted about other temp threads - I was asking about longer term averages than what was in existing threads).

I’m a moron an didn’t fully clamp down the cooler - that helped by about 7 degrees C. I’m going to install the liquid rig and think I"ll be fine for all my workloads. Thanks for the feedback and I’ll give my averages going forward. I’m going to put it under load doing some video compression and I do quite a bit of development so more to come.

1 Like

I too have a hard time reading :wink:

what kind of long term temps would you like to know about?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.