Ryzen 3700X + 2070 Super - any uplift from 5800X3D?

I currently have an MSI B450 Tomahawk (OG, not MAX) with a 3700X and 2070 Super. I was mulling upgrades the other day, and realized that any GPU upgrade worth talking about would be $600+ even with recent price drops. So then I saw Wendell’s video (with exactly the same mobo!) about the 5800X3D and was intrigued. Would the 5800X3D offer a significant boost to my current config? Would it be worth ponying up $450…assuming the 5800X3D remains available? Or for that matter would a 5800X or 5700X be worth the price of admission?

(Thanks to MSI and AMD for providing a BIOS update to this crusty old hardware.)

1 Like

Well i think this highly depends on what you are actually doing with the system.
I assume you are referring to gaming performance up lift.
And in that regards it highly depends on the particular games you play and,
at which settings and resolutions.
In my opinion $450,- is still a pretty hefty investment for a performance uplift,
in certain games.
Most benchmarks i see are done with high end gpu’s on low res 1080p,
which realistically is not really the target that most gamers would aim for,
with such high end cards really.
So that kinda puts those numbers in some perspective a bit in my opinion.
But of course certain games will definitely benefit from 5800X3D additional cache.
In the end it will definitely not getting worse with that upgrade.
Because the 5000 series are faster then the 3000 series to begin with.
So the best thing to do is just looking specific benchmarks on your favourite games,
so that you can see what you could expect on the cpu side of things. :slight_smile:

But if upgrading to the 5800X3D over like a cheaper 5800X or 5900X really depends,
on which resolution and settings you are playing.
Because form what most benchmark show is that the best performance gains,
for the 5800X3D are at 1080p.

2 Likes

Largely 5800x3d does well at 1080p when you go to 4K or 2k it fall off more so. That is what benchmarks point to. It matches or beats a 12900k at 1080p but looks more like a 5800x when at higher resolutions.

2 Likes

Yeah that is what i mean with those numbers should be seen in perspective really.
I mean a RTX3090 for testing cpu performance at 1080p is of course,
the best way to actually test it.
But realistically those numbers also don’t really tell that much,
because most people with such high end cards are not aiming at 1080p medium.
And people with lower end gpu’s will likely see less of an performance uplift in games around the board.

2 Likes

I think a 2070 would benefit at 1080p or 1440p. I mean in terms of switching to any Ryzen 5000 chip.

2 Likes

Agree in regards to a 3000 to 5000 series cpu’s definitely.

2 Likes

I… guys help

Serious reply: Cache is a good thing either way. I have for eternity been pissed that intel cheaps out on cache on their chips. More cache is better, just make sure you can afford it slash wait for the way cooler chips to come out in a while.

2 Likes

Basically it’ll make your GPU use 100% utilization for more frames, if you’re gpu is already hitting 100% utilization 100% of the time, it won’t help you

6 Likes

After mulling over the remarks above and some benchmarks, it seems that the best bang for the buck upgrade would probably be a 5600X or 5600G.

Are both of these chips on one CCX, or are either of them dual CCX? Any thoughts on their suitability for a gaming rig? Is a mobo upgrade going to make any difference, or should I just stick with my Tomahawk B450?

I´m not sure if AMD is still going to release the 5700X that was rumored about.
That might actually be the sweet spot between the 5600X and 5800X.

From what i have seen the 5700X will be a 8core 65W tdp part.
But i´m not sure if this cpu is going to be launched for the desktop or oem only.

1 Like

I’ve been debating the same topic in my head as soon as I saw the CPU drop because I got the same base components as you have.
I don’t think it’s worth dropping that much money and the configuration is already very well balanced. Maybe there might be some FPS here and there at 1080p, but nothing worth spending 450$ over in my opinion.
The only way I would do it would be if someone in my family wanted an upgrade. Since I’m using an SFF system overclocking is not something I’ll ever do so that CPU would work perfectly for me.

1 Like

I know this topic is way old, but I recently learned the G variants of Ryzen CPUs have half the L3 of the X variants. I guess that’s how they fit a GPU in them.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.