Ryzen 3000 & Navi Megathread | Level One Techs

More info here https://www.overclock.net/#/topics/1741052

Edit: ping @wendell what’s your take on this? (Does @ work like this here?)

edit2: working link https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1741052-edc-1-pbo-turbo-boost.html

1 Like

Neat. Looking into it.

Well, I thought my FCLK issues were because of silicon lottery… Turns out it was the stupid C6 C-state issue I got bit by.

And guess what? ASUS REMOVED the “Power Supply Current Idle” feature in AMD CBS in the newer BIOSes.

DO NOT buy an ASUS board for Linux Ryzen. The solution using Power Supply Current Idle cannot be done on ASUS boards.

2 Likes

If you’re right, it’s maybe do not buy an ASUS board for overclocking. My two ASUS Ryzen boards are running Linux and working great.

But the most exciting thing I’ve tried is going to 3,600 MHz on the RAM for the 3900X, and letting the board do an automatic all-core 3.7 GHz boost on the 1700X, which is honestly nothing exciting.

I’ve been having non-stop C6 idle state issues. I thought it was FCLK but it’s not. It only happens when the system is idle.

The Power Supply Current Idle is a workaround for the issue even at stock speeds, but ASUS removed the option. IT IS NOT AN OVERCLOCKING OPTION.

2 Likes

Well i can remember that there actually were issues,
with C6 powerstates and certain psu´s,
that could not really handle that very well.
But i think that was like years ago, and shouldn’t be,
an issue with modern psu’s anymore.

It’s not a PSU issue, it only happens in Linux with the up to date AGESA, and it doesn’t happen with the same AGESA in Windows. The tweaks for “Ryzen Balanced” are WAY too Windows specific. Linux users are being ignored for the “optimized” power plans.

1 Like

Yes i understand that it is not a psu issue.
But when it comes to the powerplans on linux,
isn ´t it possible that it might being distribution specific as well?

Unfortunately i don´t have Ryzen stuff to test around with.
But i cannot remember that i have read allot of complaints about this issue.
And not sure if wendell has ever experienced or adressed it?

It’s in the kernel bugtracker with no resolution in sight:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196683

1 Like

Hmm interesting…

I’m running a Linux NAS system with a 1700X on a ASUS x370-Pro board with a pretty default Fedora 31 installation. And two other people who took my recommendation are doing the same thing. And none of us have that problem. I don’t know what distro the others are running, but one is Ubuntu I think.

And this system I am typing on right now is a 3900X with an ASUS x570. Uptime is over 7 days.

Anyway, my point is that while you may see this problem a lot, it is hardly universal because I’ve never seen it before.

1 Like

The random nature of it is what makes this so frustrating. If you look at the bugzilla tracker, nothing concrete has been established and it’s all guesses with no AMD engineers commenting.

This quote marks how grim the situation is:

I have mailed this issue and the link to this thread to many hardware reviews sites to get attention, and to AMD, and not a single one even bothered to reply let alone have a look at it.

If they even don’t want to recognize this as a bug, why fix it?

1 Like

I don´t think that this would be an Asus specific issue.

But yeah…

Apparently Asrock also removed the feature:

The latest firmware for X370 Taichi, v5.50 (2019/4/24), removes the “Power Supply Idle Control” option off the configuration UI

Well you could try to email Asrock and or Asus,
what their reason is for deleting the feature.
Maybe they could give you a plausible explenation.
Likely not, but who knows…?

I was able to use the Global C-States option to disable C-states and still maintain Precision Boost. Turns out I goofed and turned on Custom Pstates in panicked menu switching.

FWIW, no issues on Asus Pro WS X570-ACE, BIOS 1201. It’s on 24/7, I only reboot when a kernel update falls on a full moon.

Okay, I just found something interesting about Precision Boost but I’ll share it in my own thread because it’s an extensive topic.

Just found out there was an update for my ASRock X370 Professional and WOW, IT SUCKS.
The voltage still fluctuates like before AND i can’t put my voltage at fixed mode, i can try to do it, but the motherboard doesn’t obey.
I also somehow can’t find the core frequency adjust anywhere, it used to be under Advanced>AMD Overclocking or simply at the OC Tweaker tab.
That’s it, i’m rolling it back to 5.80.

B550A looks really interesting. I would actually prefer that implementation over the ones with the real PCIe4 capable chipset even on higher end boards. That way you’d get a stable, proven base platform with no need for active cooling and could still benefit from PCIe4 for the most important parts.

Timestamped

1 Like