Ryzen 3000, GPU speculation

That’s nothing legit, just some vendor wanting pre-orders

6-10 cores “Expected”? Really? NO shit?
3.6-4.5 ghz? Really?
“Wraith” non-specific variant cooler? lol

2 Likes

This clearly indicates that Zen 2 brings noticeable IPC improvements to the table, enabling the new chips to deliver better performance per clock than their predecessors. This, combined with 7nm’s ability to deliver even higher clock speeds than current 14nm fabrication technology means that we can expect the Ryzen 3000 series to deliver nice single threaded and multi-threaded performance improvements.

1 Like

I’ve no doubt that IPC may be improved. But jury is out on clock speeds.

I suspect people expecting higher than 4.5 ghz on ANY new smaller than 14nm process parts, from ANY fab, are going to be disappointed. I hope i’m proven wrong - but i wouldn’t be counting on it.

Basically because things are getting so small now, that trying to evacuate the heat from transistors that small is starting to become an issue.

IPC increases may happen. Core counts may grow. But i think the days of ramping clock with new process are OVER. Unless we transition to something other than silicon.

I mean you can just look at intel between 32nm and 10nm. Max clocks on air have barely changed in almost a decade. And 10nm for intel is just horribly broken right now anyway.

That said, i’m interested in a 3700x, will put the existing 2700x in my living room PC and retire the last intel box (currently an E3-1231v3) from my house.

Even at only 4Ghz (with my pessimist hat on), with the IPC improvements and the numbers of cores on offer for the price, Ryzen 3000 is going to be a monster CPU lineup.

Industry experts and Fabs have said to not expect clock speed improvements on smaller nodes.

There are a few patents that aim to work arround it by using thermo-electric effects. Basically take the heat from the CPU, turn it into electricity and dump it via resistor elsewhere.

My 1700 has been running happily at 3.9G so both an IPC improvement AND frequency improvement would be huge.

1 Like

I reckon you’ll get 4.5. I remain to be convinced that AMD or anyone else on 7nm is going to be hitting 5.

But still, with a 5-10% IPC gain that will make it competitive with *lake on single core IPC with many more cores.

And likely significantly lower power consumption at core parity

Personally I expect about 4.55ish all core turbo on something like the 8 core parts. Maybe a bit higher. I don’t think 4.9 to 5.0 is out of the question on single/dual core turbo

1 Like

Yeah to clarify i was talking all core. Even with the same clocks as 2xxx it will be a great chip with that many cores and the rumoured IPC gain. Clock improvements will be gravy.

one of my PCs still has a 2400k lol
my main computer rn has a 4770 non-k
those dell executive desktops are a bargain

2 Likes

Well this year is a good time to upgrade. :slight_smile:

Well If you need the horse power. So many people are not encoding video or playing games at 4K.

Welcome.

1 Like