Ryzen 2500U, Installing Ubuntu, Blank Screen

Like this? Do I need the dashes?

Also I cannot write even with sudo nano?

This is usually much easier, boot from the stick and in the grub menu select the entry and press e, there you can edit the parameters for the next boot.

Edit: and you should add the additional parameters to the linux line, not on the initrd line.

1 Like

Ok this is as far as I got, what now?

No idea, I am not a grub expert. But if the menu you defined is not showed, something is really wrong.

Try ubuntu again. When in the boot menu, choose “try” or install and press e. Read the text below the selection box, maybe the edit hot key is a different one.

1 Like

Thanks for the help everyone, I am taking a break and I’ll get back to you on that (maybe in a month).

…But yeah this situation is looking really fucked

You selected to go to a minimal bash and not edit the boot entry.

Select the entry, press the key to edit the boot option, put the text at the end of the kernel (linux) entry and not the initrd

Hi Far. I had issues similar issues with my 2200G setup. You need newer kernel like RC of 4.19. In your situation I see only one option. Take SDD/HDD of laptop to desktop install there. Upgrade kernel to 4.19 using ukuu i.e., put back and enjoy.

I had easier story just put GPU that works with 4.15 kernel updated and removed that GPU.

EDIT: I someone knows more elegant solution would be great.

This is a laptop. It’s bound to that Vega GPU.

yeah but hard disk is not - he can install outside on this disk upgrade kernel and put back

EDIT: ok found more elegant solution. Build custom ISO using Cubic (Custom Ubuntu ISO Creator) -> install ukuu -> install latest 4.19 RC -> remove default 4.15 kernel (apt remove) -> create bootable USB -> Voila your VEGA 8 is kicking ass!

Hi. I’d like to buy the same laptop but interested in seeing if it works with any Linux distribution before.

Did you get it working with Ubuntu using the option above?

You can try with arch too until the other distributions are updated and support this. It should boot without any problem. See this https://medium.com/@bigilui/installing-antergos-linux-on-a-lenovo-ideapad-720s-amd-ryzen-dual-booting-with-windows-10-1ac8e2bd94a6 .

Hey all, brought the lenovo ideapad 530s today which runs the 2500U.

For some context I built a NAS around the 2400G a few months back and tracked the issues around graphics and stability on Raven Ridge based machines.

I jumped into the bios, enabled the virtualization support and disabled secure boot.

Pushed in a recent Arch Linux usb key and ran through a normal dm-crypt based install.

I’m using sway-git from the AUR so my setup is wayland based.

So far everything seems stable, though its early days.

I can play back 4k HEVC content, webgl demos look fine, youtube html5 page shows as everything is good.

The only issues with the 530s that I have so far is the touchpad not being detected (like at all) and after blacklisting ideapad_laptop in modprobe.d I can scan for wifi networks, but not connect to any.

Raven ridge based chips look like there in a minimal lovable state for linux, but theres still some cleanup left to do.

Hope this helps someone.

So that mouse issue led me down a deeper rabbit hole.

After a fair bit of trial / error and googling, I stumbled upon this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1787775

Which lead me to this:

I applied the driver and my mouse is working, during my testing I also enabled the previously black listed ideapad_laptop module.

The wifi now works, not sure why.

At this point I can code, browse the internet, pay videos listen to music, pretty useful stuff.

Havent dived into any power management things yet.

Will track the various upstream work for the i2c stuff closely.

Small update: with the above configuration, turning on virtualization support in the bios causes the screen to go blank after typing in my password to unlock my cryptroot.

For now I am leaving virtualization disabled.

Also worth noting that my BIOS was already up to date.

Mouse randomly stops working, dmesg showing i2c read timeout.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/31/97

Also seeing [ 6] Bad TLP errors similar to:

It looks like the black screen might not be related to turning virtualization on, I have noticed that sometimes after powering on, the screen gets stuck black. A couple of reboots normally clears it.

Did you set iommu=soft as a kernel parameter?

1 Like

nope but I do see IOMMU related errors during boot.

On the touchpad side of things.
The developers made some changes and things feel pretty stable right now.
The machine is usable!!!

is there any update on working ubuntu with ryzen 2500u without the tweaks, i had to set “noacpi” which results in weird fan and processor behavior. Processsor is continuosly in full load and the ui experience is not very smooth.

From what I understand. the Ryzen Mobile 2k series is a wash due to bad vendor support. AMD is taking a more active role in properly releasing Ryzen Mobile 3K and working with vendors to provide proper drivers and code.

You can try to the most recent 5.1 kernel and see if it requires less tweaks. Some of the tweaks are hardware vendor specific as well.