Ryzen 1700 vs 1700X arguments? (4.0 OC)

me? my keyboards wonderful

1 Like

The 1700X has dropped in price so that there isn't too much to save from going down to the 1700 anymore, but that said the only given difference between the two chips is the difference in default clocks. For most users the 1700X boosts high enough to make the value of any actual overclocking questionable (3.5 GHz on all cores and up to 3.9 GHz on single threaded loads). Don't take 4.0 GHz at any truly reasonable level of voltage for a given, even if it's possible for some chips.

When it comes to the motherboard I would recommend anyone to consider a motherboard that support P-State overclocking. For the ability to have the system boost all cores to whatever level you manage to overclock to with reasonable voltage, and then drop back to low clocks and voltages when the system isn't doing much. It's the only feature I miss on my own Asus Prime X370 Pro, so much that presently I'm using the Ryzen Master software in Windows to overclock mostly for some games. (I've found it's not often I need myR7 1700 to push more than its default 3.2 GHz on all cores, and getting stably to 3.9 GHz leads to a steep increase in power demand.)

1 Like

if i knew how to set up p state i would... no one on here wants to sit on skype nd help me so... i just dial in a max oc snd leave it

Find a source of "binned 1700's" they are better than the X's and also get a taichi x370 board. Its the best board right now and it wont break your bank

There is absolutely no source of tested CPUs in Greece (where I live). So I am probalby going for a 1700X. As for the Taichi, I am almost certainly going to get it.

That will be your safest bet unless you know a trustworthy individual else where