Ryzen 1700 vs 1700X arguments? (4.0 OC)

Is there any reason to buy the X over the non-X? AMD seems to recommend the X for overclocking but is that anything more than a sales pitch? I am looking to build a Ryzen system at 4.0GHz (or more with safe voltage, but 4.0 will be awesome too) and 3200 or 3000 memory ( 2x 16GB)

You'll have a higher chance of hitting 4.0 with the 1700X, but it's not at all uncommon to see a 1700 at 4.0. It really just depends how much you're willing to gamble and how important hitting 4.0 is to you.

Well, if it hits 3.9 vs 4.0, that is negligible to me. My 4 core 4770K dog struggles to reach 4.2 with any semi-sane voltage setting.

dunno but ive had my cpu in its box it was one of the first runs of the processor so im expecting 4 1 put of it at a 247 clock with 1.42 volts on a exotic loop with 2 360mm radiators

Yeah the X versions might be higher binnend.
it really depends on the price diffrence.
eitherway both choices are fine, but with the X version you get higher base clocks to start with.

335 eur 1700
376 eur 1700x
without shipping

They're both good choices, but with the 1700X you'll have a higher chance of hitting 3.9/4.0 so if you can afford it and value overclocking, I'd go for that.

Not sure if the 1700X comes with a cooler standard?
But if so then the extra price might be worth it.
Like i said you get better clocks out of the box allready.
But eitherway you can overclock both chips.

4.1, 246 bclk with 1.42v with 2 x 360 rads is what you mean?

I have a 360mm Swiftech H320 that I hope is compatible with the Swiftech adapter to go on the AM4 socket. Here in Greece, you can't return an item if there is no RMA reason, so I really have to get it right the first time..

1700X owner here. It does not.

idk how to oc ryze havent looked much into it as im still building my loop so im just hoping to do 1.42 volts and slam it at 4.1 and hope its stble

Aren't you afraid of electromigration running over 1.4v??

I guess you could skimp on the mobo of you don't get the X as you wont need as much peace of mind for the safety of your chip, but IMO just get the X as itl add that extra bit of life span to your PC before you want an upgrade.

1 Like

If you want to run such high overclocks 24/7 stable.
Then you definitelly should not cheap out on a motherboard by all means.
8 cores overclocked are still pretty current hungry.

Motherboards i would recommend to look at in oder.

1 Asrock X370 Professional gaming.
2 Asrock X370 Taichi.
3 Asus Crosshair Vi Hero.
4 Aorus X370 Gaming K7.
5 Biostar X370 racing GT7.

These are pretty much the best X370 boards out there atm.
In terms of build quality and vrm implementations.

I am definately not going with the ASUS board. I own their Maximus VI Formula and I am NOT happy with it. It is probably going to be the Taichi or the Aorus Gaming 5 (?) as reviewed by the LevelOneTechs?

1 Like

The Taichi is pretty much the best X370 board out there by far.
Aside from its brother the X370 professional gaming ofc.
It ticks all the boxes pretty much.

1 Like

not ehen im running a custom loop shluld keep it cool enough

i was gonna get the taichi but the colors r so ugly and i eanted an all blsck pcb and gun metal im going for a very unique build where if i change the fluid i can change my build to any color

You should probalby buy a new keyboard as well :slight_smile: