Return to Level1Techs.com

Ryzen 1700 Temperature Issues w/ H100i v2

Hello! I just got into the realm of overclocking and decided to pick up a Corsair H100i v2 as the stock cooler simply wasn’t going to cut it for any type of overclocking.

I installed my H100i v2 in the front of my Corsair 400C and was hyped to get to overclocking, I noticed my idle temps were at 30 C – a whole 15 degrees difference from the Wraith Spire! However the moment I started to overclock my temps got really hot and I’m wondering if it’s a cooler issue or an installation issue.

After running AIDA64 Stress Test for not even 20 seconds I was hitting 81 C and climbing. I have checked, my fans are pulling intake from the front of the case and they are both operational. The tubing was giving me issues during building so the block is installed upside down instead of right side up. Could that be the issue? Any insight is much appreciated!

Edit: I am using HWMonitor to check temps.

Assuming everything is running, ie fans water pump etc…and your house temperature is in normal range… then I would say either thermal paste or just not tightened down enough.

I agree with this. When I watercooled my GTX780 back on the day, I had a similar issue. Stock temps were higher than normal, but still very acceptable, under load it spiked to the point of thermal throttle. Chances are, re-applying thermal compound, and making sure the cooler is tightened down evenly will fix the issue.

I am no Ryzen expert but, what Vcore voltage are you running?

I would personally recommend replacing the stock paste with something from a tube. I used the H100i V2 for a while but skipped the stock stuff right off the bat and never saw temps over 68°C in an NZXT S340 Elite case (IE not the best for airflow). CPU is a 1700X at 3.95GHz and 1.375v for reference.

I’ll look into putting some new paste on it. To answer your question, 3.5Ghz at 1.3 Volts. I started off really low for an OC just to see where temps went.

Looks like 1.3v should be good, based on google search. My guess is thermal compound. Keep us posted.

I’m getting better temps on 1.35V @3.8GHz with a Noctua NH-U14S. Something is wrong on your thing.

When I had a 1700 the best I was able to get was 3.925 on all cores at 1.4v,

it was kind of crazy as I only needed 1.35 to do 3.8 but really needed to ramp it up just to get that extra 125 mhz.

temps were a little high (around low/mid 70s) under sustained full 100% usage but nothing the h90 couldn’t handle.

I have the 2700x in there now (1700 used in a build for my friends brother… ) and its much better

At stock, 4,250mhz boost and 4 ghz base with voltages not touched and temps staying under 70

Interesting: your Ryzen 7 1700 will report two basic temperatures Tdie and Tctl. Differing from the 1700X and 1800X versions of the Ryzen 7, your multi core CPU will have no temperature offset of 20°C, meaning that Tdie and Tctl will both report equal temperatures in case of the 1700 while in case of the X models Tdie will report 65°C for example and Tctl will report 85°C. This was preconfigured because the X-variants have a higher stock TDP (thermal design power), so would require same stock fans run faster.
The max working temperature of the Ryzen 7 1700 is 95°C, though.
My watercooled max temps are 72-76°C under max load (ambient 22°C), same blow in design w/240mm radiator.
81°C is fine, maybe you could optimize thermal paste (type, amount (more is better)) and/or mounting pressure (which will squeeze out excess thermal paste - too less paste would result in heat spots and subsequent throttling of cpu(cores)).

closed #10

He had this issue almost a year ago, I think by now it would have been resolved? If not, OP let me know and I will reopen to resume discussion.