Ryzen 1700 High Idle Temps

Hi folks!

I recently put together my new Ryzen build with the Ryzen 7 1700 (non-x version) overclocked to 3.7GHz (1.36V) and the system is idling at around 45C with my Noctua NH-U12SE-AM4 cooler (I love Noctua's creative naming scheme :smiley:) . To me this seems rather high, especially considering my old build featuring the FX 6100 idled around 35C using the Hyper 212 Evo. Environmental temps are never above 21C in my house so high environmental temps shouldn't be an issue. Is this normal?

I have also observed some other strange activity - such as now, when I'm only browsing the web that the idle temps jump from 43C to 53C then back down. I have noticed this even when fans are at 100%. I have disabled core boosting and put Windows into high performance to avoid any kind of core parking.

I'm thinking on reseating the heatsink and using MX4 TIM instead of Noctua's own NT-H1 to see if that will improve thermals.

Any other suggestions, comments and help etc. are greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

My 1700x is cooled by the NH-U12S (noctuas themal compound in use) ideling arround 28°C
Not overclocked tho.

my 1700 is running at 3.85GHz, and idles around 32°C with the stock wraith cooler. IIRC it's at 1.344V (I'm on my laptop right now, so not sure).

so, yeah; sounds a little warm.

What software are you using to monitor your temperatures? I find that anything other than Ryzen Master is pretty inaccurate.

I suppose you could try re-seating the heatsink. Maybe you used too much/too little thermal paste or it didn't spread properly when seating the heatsink? I would at least try to reseat it as a sanity check.

Otherwise some people I've seen reported fairly high idle temps but then at full load the temps weren't much higher so what are the load temps like?

I'm using Ryzen Master to monitor the temps

At full load on Prime95 with small FFTs after 30 minutes it gets to a rather toasty 78C using Ryzen Master to monitor the temps. Will deffo try to reseat the heatsink as you suggest.

It's fine really, typically when overclocking a Ryzen the clocks don't drop down at low loads like they do when running at stock clocks, or when overclocking through the use of modified P-states. Apart from the slightly higher resulting power consumption there's no negative side effect from it.