RX580 & RX5700XT | PCIe x16/x8 Question

So I have set my eyes on using my RX580 card for Linux and buy a RX5700XT for Windows VM, BUT I want x16 in Windows and don’t really care if it’s x8 for Linux. Can I even use the main PCIe x16 slot for dedication to a VM, while using the secondary for Linux, or will it automatically think, OH two graphics cards lets downplay them #x8bothcards? In that case, then I don’t really have to care if it’s in the first or second slot because it won’t matter. Thanks for the answers provided!

I don’t know about the Linux side of it at all.

But: Have you checked your UEFI/BIOS to see if you can manually set the lanes to 16x slot one and 8x slot two.

From light racing around here you should beable to bla…denylist the 5700XT in the primary slot so it is ignored during Linux boot and then initialise it when passing through. Like I said I don’t know or use Linux just from reading around.

All that said, I think your would still be fine at 8x speeds either way, I have repeatedly seen it posted that 16x was never full utilised in its own version life time for just Gaming.

1 Like

It depends on the CPU and motherboard.

On Intel LGA 115x and AMD AM4, there are only 16 PCIe lanes total for those two slots. So if you have anything in the second x16 slot, they will both run with 8 lanes.

On HEDT, you should have enough lanes that they will both have 16 lanes.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.