RX5500 for h265 video compression?

So, video compression … because I just have too many blurays to store all of that uncompressed. But I want to retain the maximum amount of quality of course.

So h265, right? … But not through handbrake because unless you have a 3990X (aka the Threadshitter) that’s gonna take for absofucking ever.

So Navi … but which one? Does a 5500XT have the same h265 capabilities compared to the 5700 line? If so, I could build a cheap-ish transcoding box.
And (maybe this is going into a second thread but…) can I do that on linux?

@eposvox I know you did some h265 stuff shortly after Navi launched. Did you do stuff with it lately?

As I understood it, GPU transcode, either blue, red or green, is terrible quality. The much slower CPU-only codecs are older and more mature, and offer a lot higher quality… Using the GPU for decoding prior to CPU encoding saves some resources.

Since you’re backing up your disc collection, is time really an issue? Setup a VM so you can partition resources, say 25-50% of available threads, and just let it crunch.

if you want an hardware encoder go nvidia amd is not even close intel was relative good in comparison to nvidia back in the days but i didn’t saw test of it in forever.

beware that even today h265 is not generally better then h264 when using x264/x265 specifically if you aim for transperent quality where cabac is doing most of the work.
x265 benifits are currently in lower bit rate situations.

the next problem is nvidia very untranperent media block situation. every RTX card has the new turing media block which you want but you clearly don’t want an RTX card. some of the 16 series cards have volta some have turing and i don’t remember which but you want the turing one.
nvenc is usable on linux. i have no experiences on linux i use software for best quality anyway.

but look up the quality of intel it’s know as quicksync which is just a way to access the media black a small intel is the cheapest option if you want to build a transcoding box.
never expected to recommend an intel in 2020…

Macs may have some advantages here. The Macs with T2 chips can use the onboard ARMs (A10 for T2) to help with the encoding on top of CPU and GPU acceleration via videotoolbox framework, cutting render time by more than 50% (it is limited to 8-bit on videotoolbox tho if I recall correctly) if only some clever programmer write tweaks to expose this functionality via usb on newer iphones and ipads (T2 implements USB connection at a packet level As far as I skimmed the reverse engineering video).

Yes, I’m an impatient fuck.

Handbrake exists, I know.
Not the point of this topic.

I was looking into that but for that workflow to be viable I would have to find a way to open the files MakeMKV is spitting out. Perian is dead and has been for a long time and I haven’t seen something similar like it.

But if someone knows how to handle that, that would be awesome. I could just push it all through compressor.

Blu Ray are already compressed for maximum quality, you’re not going to gain anything compressing them again. Contrary to your first post, they are not uncompressed.

If the file I am getting out of it is the same size as the video is on the bluray it is a 1:1 ratio and therefor uncompressed compared to it’s source.

More importantly … it’s too big.
And you’re not helpful.

Look up the spec on your favorite search engine, Blu-ray are already compressed using h.264 or h.265. the only way you’ll get a smaller size is to reduce quality. Sorry not sorry if you don’t find that helpful, it is what it is. Perhaps rephrase your original request?

Still not helpful.

gordon is very likely right in this case, the max you will get out of a near identical quality with h265 is 20~30% smaller filesize (from the video alone, so probably 10% smaller overall), what is likely the bloating factor here is the audio.

Just buy more drives, thats what I did, the compression etc is just not worth it.

1 Like

He’s not even technically right in his argument but fine, ignore the maximum quality notion.

I want smaller video files.
I want to use HEVC.
I want to use the Navi encoder for that.

No.

They are going to come out larger, I’ve tested.

1 Like

How? On what platform?

Handbrake, AMD VCE (Graphics card encoding), on H264 to H265.

The video was already quite efficiently compressed, so using VCE on what is already compress is just less efficient

https://larryjordan.com/articles/when-to-use-h-264-vs-hevc-for-video-compression/

i could test it but there is sadly a very good chance the h264 hardware encoder is better then the h265 for AMD.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.